Wednesday, July 13

[Don't forget to breathe]
Jamie came over and we all ate grilled lemon pepper chicken. I chopped mine up and put it in a salad and felf halfway self-sufficient. Halfway, since I didn't cook the chicken; all I did was open the bag of pre-made salad. But I've been helping out with the cooking more than usual lately. I figure it's high time I learned how to feed myself. I mean, I've been out of a high chair for more than two decades.

We caught an MTV2 special on Memphis and its high-profile rap icons who come from the lowest of the low neighborhoods here. It was pretty interesting. They're really plugging "Hustle&Flow," which I would like to see but totally don't think I'd get. Then when we drove Jamie home, we took Central through the U of M campus and through Cooper-Young, and the night was so nice and the music so mellow I thought I might actually like this place if I could just accept its faults and start growing some roots. It's like I'm some kind of dog who keeps circling and digging in the same spot in preparation to lie down. Circle, sniff, scratch. Circle again. Lie down for two seconds. Circle, scratch. Why can't I get comfortable?

I've been invited to a poker night tomorrow at a co-worker's house. Today when I got into work there was a book about Texas Hold'em on my desk as a subtle reminder not to flake out. I'd kind of like to go to demonstrate to the people I work with that I'm not lame, but that's where it gets tricky, because I totally am. So I'm trying to figure out if I should go through with the production meant to convince them that I'm cool or down or whatever it's called, just so I can hang out with other humans and possibly make companions out of the people I work with. This poker game doesn't get started until 1 a.m. and I have to be at work at 11 the next day, so I'm torn. I'm told that they often don't quit until long after the sun is up.

I thought I was getting sick yesterday when I could feel a mass of infection inside my head and I had a sore throat. I've been hopped up on cold medicine all day and right now the Nyquil's making it a little tough to type. I'm sure it's just sinus issues. But I'm also afraid that I have a bad tooth that's exacerbating the problem. I haven't been to the dentist in more than a year (this is after going every six months for twentysomething years) and I think there's a hole in a tooth that I can't quite see but I can certainly feel. I dread finally going and hearing those two words that are synonymous with pain and suffering: root canal. As soon as I pay my $100 ticket to Oakland, I'll be happy to fork over $300 for a dental procedure I could have avoided had I not had 500 Cokes last year. I have no idea how much root canals cost, by the way. I may be grossly undershooting it.

So if Karl Rove doesn't get fired, what are we going to do? Sing Kumbaya? Seriously, what does it take to outrage this fat, distracted, selfish populace? I was proud to see the WH press corps act forcefully with their questioning of late over this. You can read the full text of Monday's briefing where they had Scott McClellan squirming like a little beeeetch. I want the press to maintain the momentum. Say it with me ...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to the poker game! You don't have to stay all night. Paste on a fake smile, chill out, and bet a buck blind. You might even have fun with these people and inch a little closer to that spot that eventually turns out to be comfy.

Wed Jul 13, 07:13:00 PM  
Blogger Colby said...

I wouldn't be surprised to see ol' McClellan age about 10 years in the next three months if the press keeps up that barrage.

By the way, it's fun to play "Pick the Plants" with briefings and find who the stooges are who like to change topics. I'm sure they're earning their paychecks -- both of them.

Thu Jul 14, 01:37:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Yeah, I wish they put reporters' names on the briefing, but I understand why they don't. I mean, I want to know who was the douche who said, "...the President is doing a great job as far as fighting against terrorism is concerned. But where do we stand now, really?" Why would any self-respecting reporter feel the need to preface that question with an obvious brown-nosing line like that? Puke!

Thu Jul 14, 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Unless it was sarcasm, which is entirely possible. We're a snarky bunch.

Thu Jul 14, 11:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home