Monday, July 11

[Making Easy Money, Pimpin' Hoes In Style]
Tonight I was told that's what 'Memphis' stands for. Never heard it in my life. But Phil, it seems, is up on the Orange Mound/Dirty South/rap subculture to a greater degree than I am and he was kind enough to impart this morsel to me. So what does 'Nashville' stand for?

Turns out that PitW beat me to the 'Menace' headline.

Andy Dick is a funny bastard. The new "Surreal Life" is buzzing in the background and every now and then I hear/see him say/do something funny. I love silly, crude, profane humor. I'm still thirteen, apparently.

Enough! It's bedtime.

7 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

I always heard it as:

Makin' Easy Money, Pimpin' Hoes Is Serious

Mon Jul 11, 08:03:00 AM  
Blogger J. R. said...

It comes from the rapper Memphis Bleek, who is not from Memphis. He's from the South Bronx, if I remember correctly. He always said it was "Making Easy Money, Pimping Hoes In Style."

The Orange Mound crowd co-opted the phrase to describe the city itself, which was not Mr. Bleek's intention at all.

Mon Jul 11, 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

J.R. is damn cute. He looks slightly nebbish.

Mon Jul 11, 12:41:00 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Ah. My adaptation is taken from Three 6 Mafia's track "M.E.M.P.H.I.S."

Mon Jul 11, 09:02:00 PM  
Blogger J. R. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tue Jul 12, 04:18:00 PM  
Blogger J. R. said...

Right, well Three 6 is from Memphis.

As for being "cute," thank you. As for being "nebbish," unless it has changed its meaning from my junior year (it meant "timid and ineffectual" in 1998), I can say I am only nebbish some of the time.

Tue Jul 12, 04:20:00 PM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

I just like using that word. I meant to say Jewish.

Wed Jul 13, 05:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home