Friday, December 17

[I believe in an art that cannot be compromised]
Yesterday was a good day. I can't believe it, but I got the job. I don't know when I start or how much they're going to pay me; they have to draw up a job offer in conjunction with the publisher first. But they said they were looking for young people with energy and a fresh perspective, and that they saw that in me and really wanted me to come to Memphis to help them re-energize the paper.

The people at the Commercial Appeal are pretty forward-thinking. A lot of them are new and have come in (from Spokane, Wa., no less) and shaken things up. The new redesign looks fantastic, and in talking with the upper editors who have been there a while, I can see that they have a vision that involves keeping a local Memphis flair to the paper while moving it forward and keeping it contemporary. They all share my fear of corporate homogenization among papers and don't want that to happen. I don't think that's something The Tennessean has on its conscience. And in a sweet twist, the cafeteria of the place has a Subway, where I'm sure I'll eat every meal, just like I did while at Sidelines.

This is such a fantastic opportunity, and I'm even more elated that Phil is starting to come around and talk about moving. I think he sees how important this is to me, and I can't thank him enough for that. Now we just have to figure out where to move. Memphis has its problems with poverty and crime, and I'm tempted to live in the outskirts and commute. (What did I post the other day about white suburban sprawl and its racist implications? It's awesome when reality makes hypocrites of us.) I'm not sure if that would be cheaper or not. I'm sort of ... no, completely clueless when it comes to finding a good place to live there. I need to get in touch with Jamie Sanford and Jimmy's brother Jarrett to get some insider tips.

Now it's really hard for me to even go to Dillard's. I'm supposed to be there at noon, and I can't imagine wanting to be somehwere less than I want to be there. I'm scheduled to work until 10:10 tonight, but I have to be a rehearsal tomorrow at 7:30 or something outlandish like that, so I may split early. I've been such a shitty employee lately. This week alone, I've missed three days, which is almost the max for people before they get canned. Now I guess it doesn't matter.

Amber blew a tire late last night on her way to Syracuse, so she had to go back to Southampton to buy a new tire today. She and Patrick will have to make the 13-hour trip at the last possible minute now. There should be some interesting, stressed-out conversations going on in that little car when they get on the road.

5 Comments:

Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

I always knew that you were headin' straight for the top.

Fri Dec 17, 01:51:00 PM  
Blogger Colby said...

Way to go, Lindsey! You have succeeded where millions before you have failed. Be sure to trod on their carcasses on your way there.

Oh, and I read your blog.

Fri Dec 17, 04:23:00 PM  
Blogger phallicpen said...

This is a test. Sqwauk.

Sun Dec 19, 03:22:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Hey, thanks for the encouragement, kids. It warms my heart with gooey goodness, a commodity (sp?) I crave.

Mon Dec 20, 09:45:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Look what happens when I don't visit all my blogs for a couple of days!!! CONGRATS on the new job!! Ask lots of neighborhood advice, when it comes to Memphis, and also remember you can call dispatch and quiz them about the areas. BTW, Casey got the job at Brentwood today! It seems it's a good week for job. Congrats on the degree as well!!

Tue Dec 21, 03:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home