Saturday, October 1

[Feels just like it should]

Just this quickly, and then to bed.

Not last night, but the night before, I got off work at 8:30 and when I came home — I don't know if it was the chilly, real autumn weather or the way the apartment was lit when I walked in, or the public access radio playing in the living room, or the smell of food cooking, or what exactly — I felt like I was actually coming home for the first time since moving here. Everything looked and felt so warm when I walked in the door. Phil was out back poking at a fire, preparing to grill an enormous steak for us to share. Rice was simmering on the stove. The cat was splayed on the coffee table, cleaning himself. It was so nice. So comfortable. So homey. And I haven't felt the comfort of having a home, my home, since I came here.

I have noticed that, in general, my mood has picked up and stayed steady for the past month or so. I had an emotionally rough week or two when Katrina hit, but I think becoming so acutely aware of the suffering of people who have truly lost their homes helped shame me into being more comfortable with my situation. Shallow, I know. A little cliche. But that's how we fickle humans operate, I guess.

I have so much to be thankful for, so much to appreciate. Despite the occasional piercing loneliness that hits me, it would be foolish to spend more time miserably contemplating the greatness my life could be if only I were elsewhere. Memphis has its problems (the foremost of which is that it doesn't contain any of my friends), but I'm coming around and learning to claim it as my home.

+++
My cousin is stable and staying the night at Vanderbilt. Still no word on what caused the seizure or if it did any permanent damage.

+++
Cheryl, the Foo Fighters dropped out of the VooDoo concert. Bummer!

+++
I absolutely cannot wait to see everybody this weekend. I haven't seen a familiar face in a month and a half, and some of the familiar faces I haven't seen since May. Too long, children. Too long. One of these days I'd like to have everyone come visit me here, but I know between work and school (and inter-state travel), that's a tall order. But still, girl's gotta dream.

+++
I haven't done any political posting here in a while, and I have a good excuse. I'm doing it all here. So please stop by when you get a chance and revel in the sheer moonbattery of it all.

+++
It's technically the first of October, so happy birthday to Nick and my sister, Krissie. You'll both be pleased to know that I haven't bought shit for you yet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Thanks for the heads up on the Foo Fighters. I guess it didn't logistically fit their current tour schedule with Weezer. I guess I can't have everything.

Sat Oct 01, 11:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home