Sunday, July 24

[Anything I say to you is gonna come out wrong anyway]
My sister has decided not to come visit tomorrow. She got sort of spooked by a chain e-mail that said some gang initiations were happening in Memphis this weekend, and that some gang members are supposed to kill a woman and her child, though the e-mail says Wal-Mart is the likely location. So ... yeah. Plus, she said it's too hot to walk around the zoo and that they'd come this fall when it cooled off and it wasn't a gang initiation weekend.

I think these urban legend hoaxes circulate about Memphis gangs all the time. I've heard the one about the headlight flashing (gang members ride at night in a car with its lights off and, if a passing driver flashes his/her lights at them, they turn around and hunt him/her down and kill him/her), but the Wal-Mart mom-and-child killing is a new one. I doubt there's any truth to the e-mail, but Phil mentioned that even the people he works with at the clinic were talking about it, and they've all lived here for years. So I don't know.

+++
Big plans for today. I'm on my own for most of the day, since Phil left yesterday to visit his family and won't be back until this evening. I'm craving a grilled chicken salad from Jason's Deli for lunch. There's laundry to be done. I've already cleaned the shower. I'd like to vacuum and wash all the sheets in preparation for Kristin's visit. Everything could use a coating of Febreze. The ferret cage is pretty raunchy and needs a good scrubbing. I guess my big trip out will be to Kmart (the department store not preferred for gang killings, apparently) to get a new comforter (ours is practically a sheet) and shower curtain. Domesticity at its finest.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? There are gang initiation rumors flying through Savannah, too. My sister called me at the Pantry a few nights ago and warned me not to go out to my car by myself because a gang in Savannah was initiating a new member, and apparently that requires kidnapping, raping, and murdering a white female. Wal-Mart was the supposed location for this event, too, but she wanted me to be careful. One of the local gentry that hangs out at the Pantry told me yesterday about the mother / daughter murder gang thing. Only it wasn't supposed to be in Memphis. It was supposed to be Savannah. How weird that Memphis and Savannah are getting the same rumors.

Sun Jul 24, 03:43:00 PM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

It's just lies that the government tells us to keep us afraid of black people.

Sun Jul 24, 05:20:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

LOL.

Sun Jul 24, 06:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home