Monday, May 24

[There's nothing but tomorrow to keep us from today]
Ahhh, a full day of work. It's been so long since I put in a cohesive eight-hours-plus-a-lunch-break.

Things are going to be fine, if I can learn how to write a decent headline and get over those "do I have the right to edit this???" fears. The pagination system the paper uses seems fairly counter-intuitive, and like it was designed by people who don't even read newspapers. Well, I guess because it was. But once I figure it out, I'll be able to list that on my resume, which rocks.

Everyone was really, really nice, and they seemed to be glad to have a young face around (even though my face looks ages older than it should.) I even have a sweet ID name badge that lets me into dead-bolted employees-only doors. My picture on it is hilarious. Imagine an awful driver's license photo, and then imagine the person in the photo with a swollen face, Xeroxed five times for optimum crappiness. Yeah, say cheese.

I felt like such a skank, though. No one told me to wear my Sunday best, and I have friends (OK, one friend) who does this exact same job at the Tennessean and she doesn't dress up. I thought I'd find a happy medium and wear a button-up polo, nice jeans and my Docs. But, uh, I'm about to head out to the suburbs to find me a Goody's and buy some damn khakis, because everyone was in a tie or high heels. Even the copy editors!

Tomorrow I work the copy editing shift from 4 p.m. until midnight or so. Check the Birmingham News tomorrow for a tiny story about a local baseball team with a perfect record. I edited that. And, for the record, I tried to unbury the quote near the end, but they told me that wasn't necessary, and that whoever has been teaching that quotes must lead paragraphs is crazy. Mmmmkay.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Glad to hear that your job is going well. You'll have the hang of everything in no time. Get the to Old Navy girl and into those khakis!!! :) Talk to you soon!

Tue May 25, 07:33:00 AM  
Blogger nashgirl said...

What's wrong with Birmingham and burying quotes? Didn't they have Gary Wolf to tell them that was a big no-no? You should stick to your guns and tell them otherwise.

Or not and keep your job. It's up to you.

Tue May 25, 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Heh heh. I'll wait until I have the equivalent of tenure and THEN rock the boat! Until then, I'm chickenshit!

Thu May 27, 11:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home