Wednesday, May 19

[So I'm proposing a swift, orderly change]
Originally, I was going to title all my Birmingham blog entries "Summer of Slum," and assign parts and chapters to each day, week, etc. But I don't live in the slum, so I can't do that. Isn't that a shame? What a waste of a perfectly clever title.

Day three is half over. I just now ventured out of my cave to scavenge for nuts and berries and trinkets. I snagged this coveted public computer, only to find that the majority of e-mail I have received today is -- surprise! -- spam. Now that spam blockers are all the rage, the spammers have had to conjure up new subject lines to avoid being purged. In two days, I've gotten messages with subject lines of "rhododendron" and "amplifier episodic." You can't make this stuff up. Well, I guess somebody did.

My mom had a job interview yesterday with the Lifeline Bloodmobile people. They spoke to her for two hours, and by all accounts, that's a good thing. She's a little disappointed about the pay -- $14-plus dollars an hour, but I figure that's an excellent amount, and it's better than her $0 paycheck right now.

I bought her a book as a pre-congratulatory gift, but I am selfishly reading it before I mail it. It's called Stiff, by Mary Roach. It's a journalist's-eye-view of what happens to human cadavers. It's fascinating and disgusting. She writes a lot about the Body Farm in Knoxville, and the different decaying bodies they've got strewn around the field. I'm already halfway through the book. Perhaps I can mail it and Amber's CD tomorrow if I ever find the post office.

5 Comments:

Blogger nashgirl said...

Lindsey,

When, oh when, will we be able to view the beauty that is Birmingham? You must document your surroundings and post them quickly. I have to see your pain.

- Kristin

Wed May 19, 03:37:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Hey K-Dawg. I have taken pics and want badly to upload them, but since I don't have internet in my room, I can't figure out how to get them online. I didn't bring my camera's software, or else I would covertly install it on the apartment complex's public computer. Next time I come to the 'Boro, I'll get my shiz, come back and install (if it'll allow me to), and then try to have photos up ASAP.

Until then, mentally picture skanky railroad tracks and lots of construction!

Y'all have fun eatin' Phil's glorious cooking tonight!

Wed May 19, 03:52:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Lindsey,
Have you started your job at the paper yet? You must give us details of that. I'm glad that you are settling in there. To get generic pics of the city, you could use one of the tv stations traffic cams. You could just post the link....I could live with that for a while, until you get your camera stuff. Blog if you need anything!

Thu May 20, 06:50:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Hey Cheryl,

I start Monday, so I'm chillin' this week with nothing to do. I'm actually coming back to the 'Boro today so I'll try to get my camera software and get pics up soon. How's your summer going so far?

Thu May 20, 01:33:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Lindsey,
Summer is going o.k. It's been really quiet this week. Only 1 class in the classroom. Mrs. T has been out all week, so it's been like an extra vacation. Drop in and visit if you get a chance and in early on Saturday.

Fri May 21, 06:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home