Tuesday, May 23

Get yourself a lawyer and a gun

Last night Phil and I saw The Strokes again at the New Daisy. They show was originally scheduled for The Orpheum, which I was excited about since I've never even been inside that place. Apparently ticket sales were slow so they moved the show to the New Daisy, which is sort of like 328 with a balcony. I don't mind small venues, but it is sort of a bummer when you have really good seats that are suddenly transformed into general admission where you have to fight for the seat (and in this case, standing area) you want and already paid for.

The show itself was fun and the crowd seemed fairly energetic (they yelled a lot and moved around on certain songs; it's always weird to hear people still go batshit over "Last Night" like it's 2001 all over again) but I have a few complaints.

• The set seemed super short. (Could just be me, but it definitely seemed shorter than the Nashville show.)
• Julian didn't seem to be feeling well. He left the stage unannounced several times, and, by the end of the show, was having trouble belting out the lyrics.
• Several songs seemed lackluster. I blame tour fatigue.
• The sound was terrible and the vocals were barely distinguishable most of the time.

Still, it was fun to see them again and compare the experience. We were much, much closer to the stage than we were at the Ryman, but the sound sucked so bad we couldn't even hear the lyrics much of the time. The light show wasn't quite as cool because the stage was smaller so I think they dumped a few of the fixtures to save space. I mean, the Ryman is just sort of the quintessential rock venue in my mind, so perhaps the comparison isn't fair. Still, I think an Orpheum show could have competed. I guess I'll have to wait a long time for another band I like to come through and book a show there.

Tomorrow night is Pinback at the Hi-Tone. Sweet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Memphis Chix said...

I'm so glad I didn't go now! We were planning on it, but when it got moved that nixed our enthusiasm. I agree the Orpheum would be a great place for them. I feel I am partly to blame!
=-(

Tue May 23, 06:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home