Thursday, February 16

))<>((

On a whim, Phil and I rented Me and You and Everyone We Know a week or two ago. I wasn't crazy about it (I'm pretty much over the boringly stylized meaninglessness and apathy portrayed in a lot of predictably post-modern hipster art -- you know what I'm talking about), but there were parts (the shit fetish kid, obviously) that cracked me up like most overtly funny movies haven't managed to do in a long time.

And Phil really enjoyed the sluts, mostly the one who didn't look like Marilyn Manson.

So, as we were thumbing through dusty boxes at Black Lodge, I started thinking (remembering, really, because I've thought it before) that it's high time I systematically worked my way through the indie section. So many obscure movies come out that I hear or read about and think, I'd really like to check that out, but never get to see because I either forget about them or they don't come anywhere near Memphis (Jesus is Magic, I'm looking at you) or stay here for a week and then vanish (Breakfast on Pluto, I'm looking at you), and I generally don't rent very often, but when I do, it's usually popular crowd-pleasing crap.

It's also possible -- though less likely because I got enough of them in my film classes in college -- that I might try to work my way through some old movies, too. At least the classics. Brandon brought Citizen Kane over the other night and I have to say, it was pretty good. And Orson Welles was a hot young man.

Now that I don't have cable, and won't, I'm going to need some shit to watch when I want a break from "Strangers with Candy" and "Futurama" and "Six Feet Under" and all their commentary tracks (which will be soon, now that I've watched each series about five times in the past three weeks). And I'm thinking Netflix might be the way to go. You can rent an unlimited amount for something like $10 a month with the cheap plan.

I think that's a reasonable amount to pay for a steady stream of pretentious arthouse tripe and bland black-and-white rot, punctuated by the occasional golden nugget. I can't wait.

7 Comments:

Blogger phallicpen said...

I continue to insist you get Grizzly Man, spark up a stick of cinnamon, and realize that Cheers really does ruin lives.

Fri Feb 17, 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

Is this the film with Miranda July? Oh no. I heard too many good reviews in hipster feminists magazines like Venus and Bitch. Are you telling me that Venus' resident film critic doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about?

Fri Feb 17, 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

Orson Welles is delightful.

Fri Feb 17, 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

I make comments as I read.

Fri Feb 17, 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Aambre: I wanted to get Grizzly Man but it was already out. So we got Me and You instead. But Grizzly is on my radar, hooch.

TV, you are cracking me up. I can just imagine you giggling at yourself. Yes, this is the Miranda July movie. I have to say, she's a good actor, and not a bad director, and the movie's not all bad. Just sort of belabored and purposefully pointless but oh-so-meaningful. I'm just not crazy about it. But it's worth watching to see for yourself.

O'mom: I ripped that symbol from the movie. I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it, and it's bound to not make sense if I try to explain it, but here goes: It's a graphic interpretation of two people shitting into each other's butts for all eternity. Put that movie on your queue and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. It's hilarious.

Fri Feb 17, 04:14:00 PM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

Any movie that includes someone shitting into another person's butt can't be that bad. Am I right?

Fri Feb 17, 05:03:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

LOL OK I get the icon now...and I feel weird because of it.

Fri Feb 17, 06:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home