Friday, January 6

We're all hungry

Oh, why not. I used to do the Friday Five before it went belly-up. (Was that almost a year ago? Yeesh, the time!)

So here it is, the Friday Feast (seen at Sugarfused):

Appetizer
Have you ever seen a ghost or an angel?
Not that I'm aware of. That's not to say that I don't have creepy experiences where I think I see supernatural things. It's mostly a function of my overactive imagination. I hope.

Soup
What is your favorite board game?
Cranium is fun with the friends. When I'm with my family, we play Aggravation or Life. But I have to say, Scrutineyes is an awesome game, too. Please don't make me choose.

Salad
What was the last movie you saw that made you cry?
This is kind of weird. I cry pretty much at all movies that I see in a theater. I have a very strong emotional connection to the theater. I'm not sure that I can explain it very gracefully, but I'll try. The scale of the big screen and the sensory immersion involved in seeing a movie at the theater just chokes me up. Every time, and especially if the movie is even remotely beautiful or sentimental, I tear up. I even tend to get swept up in film moments that my brain doesn't even find that compelling. I'm like a Pavlovian dog: Put me in a theater, combine swelling music and sweeping cinematography or beautiful animation (Corpse Bride) and I will cry, even if I'm not sad. I'm not sure I cry at comedies, though (unless you count laughing until you cry). I also have this unfortunate condition of my eyes watering when I concentrate on a certain visual point for too long. It happens every day at work, when I stare at my computer for a long time. So sometimes it looks and seems like I'm crying, but I'm really not. So in answer to the question (after a too-long qualification), the last movie I cried at was the last movie I saw in a theater: Narnia. But it was a reactionary crying, not a "This is so sad!" crying. The whole time during my sniffling, I was thinking about how lame I thought the movie was. It's weird, I know. It doesn't happen when I watch movies at the drive-in (too much distance) or at home (incomplete sensory immersion). Just the theater.

Main Course
What would you do if you had 3 months off from your job?
Travel. To New York. Across Europe. Maybe even to Africa. Just see the world, gobble up as much as possible.

Dessert
What kind of shoes are you wearing today?
My Doc Martens, which I've had since eighth grade, so, 1995? Yeah, 11 years. They're black with wonkily (word?) worn soles and many, many scuff marks. They're also very comfortable. Definitely the most reliable shoes I've ever owned.

1 Comments:

Blogger theogeo said...

Hate to say I haven't even seen Kong yet. I've been wanting to since it opened, but haven't felt compelled to just up and go. Holiday recuperation and whatnot.

As for Brokeback, yeah, I have no expectation of not blubbering like a fool. A solo catharsis viewing might be a good idea for us both! And then, later, we can go together and watch it and laugh at all the rookies crying.

Sat Jan 07, 03:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home