Wednesday, September 1

[Let's all drink to the death of a clown]
I miss my in-home internet. And, sadly, cable. But only because as the political climate of the country heats up, I need some way of tuning in to see what's up -- if only to see what TV news is doing wrong. Again. And I miss my beloved John Stewart.

I got a job at Dillard's and I start Friday. Meanwhile, I'll practice my most empathetic smile and my sleaziest sales pitch, tailored, of course, to the trenches of the children's section: "Why your baby was already an angel, but this corduroy jumper makes her look like an absolute ray of divine light sent straight from God to light this world!"

School began Monday. So far, the classes seem pretty cool. Death and Dying will be a trip, no doubt. Except it'll likely be ruined by some random airhead who, at regular intervals, exhibits every trait of my generation I love to hate: ignorance, self-centeredness, apathy, bad hair, platform shoes. My grammar class is bound to teach me plenty of useless factoids to murmur while watching obscure reruns of Jeopardy. Dr. Blackwell is fabulously flaky, just like my mom. Only she does flaky with more exasperation and less blank blinking than my mom.

Ah, mom. She called the other day and pitched an idea for a seed that will, she hopes, eventually grow into a family reunion tradition. She said our family has dwindled and is so small that we have no excuse for not getting together more often. I said I agree. As long as I can get off work.

I'm trying to earn my way into heaven and help oust George W. Bush by volunteering for the local Kerry campaign. I sat today in their HQ on Samsonite Boulevard and helped one woman register to vote. I also proudly plastered my sliding glass door at my apartment with a giant Kerry sign, so everyone will know where to point their mail bombs.

Saw The Corporation the other day. Aside from the irritating narration, it's worth a look. Saw Outfoxed a week or two ago. Again, worth a look. I'm ready for this Republican-ruled/right-wing/fearmongering age to be gone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Lindsay,
What our the hours of the demo headquarters in the 'Boro. I need a Kerry sign, and I can NEVER catch the headquarters open in Shelbyville. Glad that you "officially" got the job. Good luck!!

Thu Sep 02, 07:45:00 AM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

Campaigning for John Kerry, huh? Keep rocking with your cock out, Lindsey Turner. Rock it! And then rock with your labia out.

Sat Sep 04, 05:15:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Hey, I think they're open from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. weekdays, 9 a.m. until noon on Saturday, and closed on Sunday. If you can't catch them during those hours, I can probably get one for you next time I'm there. Yard signs are only $1, but I read in the Tennessean that Davidson County Democrats are charging $4.

How are things at the library? Hope the cutbacks haven't strapped y'all too much.

Tue Sep 07, 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Joey, our game of phone tag is just getting good. My schedule's all topsy-turvy since I started work.

When's the next time you'll be canvassing for Kerry? We should go together some time. Political fun!

Tue Sep 07, 10:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home