Tuesday, March 4

Circuit City, feel free to die in a fire

I needed a simple point-and-shoot that takes decent video. I found a Nikon Coolpix at Circuit City for $100. They didn't have any stocked, so the salesman told me I could get the display camera for a discounted price ($70). I looked it over and it was in good shape, so I said sure. Salesman told me he'd go get the box with all my accessories and I could be on my merry way.

I get home last night and realize that the USB cable isn't included in the box.

Just now, I called to tell them and they informed me that their open-box policy is to discount the display items because you might not get all the accessories with them. First time that notion ever hit my ears. I told the CSR that I was told by the salesman that all the accessories were in the box. She said sorry, but was I sure it was even supposed to come with a USB cable? Because a lot of times cameras don't come with USB cables (bullshit). Yes, lady, it was supposed to have a USB cable, because I can't telekenetically get the fucking pictures onto my fucking computer. She cheerfully told me I could come buy a USB cable, because they couldn't rip into another camera box and get me a cable. I asked her why, if they sold cables, they couldn't send me one of those ... for free ... since I'd already bought a camera and not been given all the parts. She said she wasn't sure they could do that, and I asked to speak to a manager.

Some other woman gets on the line with a gruff "HELLO?" and I ask, "Is this a manager?" She's all, "No, ma'am, our open-box policy blah blah bullshitcakes." I honestly don't feel like fighting with these fucking people about a godforsaken cord so I guess I'm just going to return the damn camera — which I was actually really starting to like — and think bad thoughts about Circuit City as I walk over to Best Buy. Which will probably screw me over in new and exciting ways.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Nashveggie said...

Do you really think you'll get better treatment at Worst Buy?

Tue Mar 04, 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Ah, no. Hence the "Which will probably screw me over in new and exciting ways."

Tue Mar 04, 01:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, don't just bow out like that. Roll up your bitch sleeves and throw a hellstorm in person. Go over every manager's head until you reach Regional - go further if necessary. Trust me, the shitholes that screwed you over WILL hear about it from their superiors. People used to do that shit to me all the time at Gold's. One of my 17-year-old front desk associates would say something snotty to a customer, and the next thing I knew I had the vice president of the company blowing up my phone wanting to know what the fuck was going on down there. You've taken enough shit lately. Give some back.

Tue Mar 04, 05:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or you could just ignore me. You'd probably end up happier.

Remind me during my next career crisis to cross off "Life Coach."

Tue Mar 04, 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Tangential said...

hell no, don't cave. Even if you like the product, don't say you do. Go for what you paid for. If there was no mention in the policy that "some parts may be missing" then pitch a fit and say if that's their policy it should be clearly posted and blah blah otherwise you won't do business with them any more. You're going to tell other people not to do business with them and you're not buying the cable from them when in reality ... you already bought it.

NO store sells a floor model without complete disclosure of any missing/damaged parts. That's the way it works. It's understood with in-stock material that everything comes with it. Floor models don't have that same understood guarantee. They have to tell you or at least let you look over everything ... including the box.

Ooo! Can I be extra support and added backbone when you go curse their names and pray their children burn in hell? Pleeeeze???

And life coach shmife coach, Palm Tree. I don't think the Tony Robbins chiclet teeth would suit you. Plus, I don't like eternal optimists.

Tue Mar 04, 11:13:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

PT and T, I know you, guys are right. I should pitch a major fit. I just suck at doing that. Okay, gah, I'll call them again and speak to a manager. Everyone send me good bitch vibes!!

Wed Mar 05, 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger La C. said...

I have to agree with Palm Tree. If more people fucking complained service might actually pick up a little. It won't be too much of a hassle, and you could end up getting someone who "seems" to care about your plight. If you don't then you can be pissed at circuit city all around and never shop there again. I've foudn that the more I complain, the more I get what I want.

Have you tried Wolf/Ritz? I have pretty good luck with the customer service on the one on Union.

Thu Mar 06, 06:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home