Wednesday, February 7

Blogger and I are about to throw down

The mass Blogger exodus of the past month or so has been kind of amusing to watch, and I can't help but hope that Blogger takes notice (even if I'm sure it's impossible to track the real bloggers leaving vs. the spambot blogs swelling the ranks). I had more or less decided not to switch platforms, since Blogger is the only free platform that I know of that will let me have my way with the template.

Yes, I am that shallow, to stay with an unreliable and downright pushy platform for purely cosmetic reasons.

My goal was to just avoid switching to THE NEW BLOGGER (I tried several times while it was in Beta and was always told that my blog couldn't be moved; I was excited about the changes to dynamic publishing and labeling and whatnot) since I'd heard so many people having trouble with their feeds and other frustrating stuff.

But today when I logged in, I got a warning I'd not seen before: SWITCH NOW OR GO TO YOUR DASHBOARD (YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS ONCE!). It made it sound as if I could only bypass the switch process one more time before I'd be required to do so. Not cool, Blogger. I don't respond well to being pushed around.

So if I am indeed required to switch to THE NEW BLOGGER, I'll be hopping platforms as well. I do love Wordpress (I've got an experimental blog on that platform) and my trial with Squarespace went unused, so I'm not sure how I feel about them, and I'm kinda meh about Typepad. I think what it will come down to is that I'll have to go with Wordpress and just get my own frigging domain so I can do what I want with my template.

And if that happens, I might have to consult the Exodus Master if I get stuck. Okay, when I get stuck.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lynnster said...

I ran into that "this is your last chance and you must move" from Blogger when moving two of the NIT exodusees, managed to get their posts out just in time. Of course now that problem's a moot point since Wordpress has now created the importer (which works great) for New Blogger.

Well, if you run into any snags you know where to find me - email is thelynnsterzone at gmail dot com - unless I'm asleep, I'm usually not far from the computer and email.

If you do jump to WP, you might want to consider just getting the $15/year CSS editing upgrade rather than spending the money for a hosted domain with Wordpress.org (admittedly I really don't know a whole lot about the WP.org platform compared to WP.com's platform). The CSS upgrade with free WP.com would allow you to play with your template all you like. Difference would be $15/year for the CSS upgrade with WP.com vs. whatever it costs to host domains (Jon Hickman tells me it's around $100/year) and use WP.org. If all you're wanting is the ability to play around with your template design, I'd just stick with free WP.com and buy the $15 CSS editing upgrade.

If you do decide to go the hosted route, Jon Hickman can probably answer any questions you have about hosted WP.org...

Good luck girl (& Huey burgers sometime soon if I ever stop going to Nashville AND get my laundry done sometime in the hopefully near future... ha!)

Wed Feb 07, 10:31:00 AM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

SWITCH NOW OR GO TO YOUR DASHBOARD (YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS ONCE!)

That's why I switched.

Wed Feb 07, 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Well, I see that the new blogger forced that navbar back up there at the top of the page. Yuck.

Fritz, you and I don't take kindly to being bossed around. Unless we get something out of it.

Lynnster, that $15 option sounds perfect. I'll check it out and let you know how it goes!

Wed Feb 07, 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Oh, and Lynnster, we will get together soon! Just let me know what days are good for you.

Wed Feb 07, 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger John H said...

test comment

Wed Feb 07, 06:06:00 PM  
Blogger John H said...

You do realize that only people with Google/blogger accounts can post comments, right? That is one of the many reasons this rat deserted the ship. WP is about 120 x better, plus you get the goddess of the export to guide you thru on the styx (river, not the sucky group).

When I try to comment here (and most other blogger pages, I have to sign into my blogger/google account before I can even post a comment.

All of this is to say, i don't go thru this much trouble for just ANYBODY! (o;

Wed Feb 07, 06:08:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

John, I've fixed that problem. Anyone can comment now.

Thu Feb 08, 12:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home