Wednesday, December 20

Show me a nicer guy than John H and I'll show you a monk

The famed Hutchmo was in Memphis for some business today, and this time, he didn't have a last-minute oops-the-doctors-totally-effed-up-my-innards moment, which is fortunate for lots of reasons more important that having lunch with me.

We met at the Midtown Huey's and talked about a whole host of stuff: Where we're from, how we got where we are, our jobs, blogging and bloggers, newspapers, feminism, liberalism, family, holidays, etc.

John's an incredibly energetic guy, and the conversation didn't lag a bit. In fact, I took forever to eat my salad because I couldn't keep my mouth shut (no big surprise there, I guess). Naturally, I spent the last half of our conversation with a giant black grain of pepper wedged between two of my front teeth. Always classy, y'all. Always.

Anyway, it was great to finally meet him and add him to my slowly growing list of bloggers I've actually seen in person.

John, next time you come back, I'll have a car. And maybe then we can eat at El Mezcal!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lynnster said...

I am so glad you got to meet him too and y'all had such a good time at lunch, isn't he just one of the most fabulous people ever?!! I was wishing yesterday while working that I had more than 30 minutes for lunch 'cos I was craving a Huey burger thinking about you guys having them, haven't had one in ages (and their potato soup, love the potato soup). I live less than 10 minutes from Huey's but there just wasn't enough time.

You & I must definitely do dinner or lunch after the holiday rush, I'm game for wherever - I live close to Chickasaw Gardens so we are definitely not far apart (for some reason I thought you lived out East somewhere)!

Wed Dec 20, 04:20:00 AM  
Blogger John H said...

Thanks, Lindsey. I appreciate the kind use of the word 'energetic'. Hyper-as-hell is probably a more accurate..I'm hyper at best, but i think that maybe that 4th cup of coffee during the morning wasn't such a great idea.

My most excellent powers of observation totally missed the giant black pepper. More importantly, I didn't miss the fact that you are every bit as interesting and entertaining in person as your blog.

thanks again

Wed Dec 20, 06:18:00 AM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

Yup, Hutch is the man.

Wed Dec 20, 06:22:00 AM  
Blogger Lesley said...

Yikes. El Mezcal is the Las Palmas of Memphis. El Porton is the Cinco de Mayo of Memphis.

Sounds like you and Lynn are near my old 'hood, High Point Terrace. You should take John to Panda Garden on Summer--it's the best Chinese food in Memphis (and better than any Chinese place in Nashville).

--Lesley
vivalalesley.livejournal.com

Wed Dec 20, 10:10:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Lynnster, we'll definitely get together after the holidays!

John, I'm glad you missed the giant black monolith in my teeth. I instinctively knew it was there, yet I was powerless to do anything about it. My friends laugh at me for constantly asking if my teeth are OK, but they just don't understand. :)

Lesley, I feel exactly the opposite. I hate El Porton and love El Mezcal. To be fair, I think each has several locations. I prefer the Perkins Mezcal. The one on G'town Road is not nearly as good. I can't remember which Porton I've tried. Maybe it's all about the location.

I'll definitely have to check out Panda Garden. I've passed it tons of times, just never stopped.

Wed Dec 20, 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger fearlessvk said...

sorry we couldn't meet up before my month-long hiatus to the four corners of the world (well, ok, just boston and SF) but definitely definitely in january :)

Thu Dec 21, 09:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home