Monday, December 18

Shrimpalicious

Last night Phil and I went to Ashley and JD's for some dinner. I took Ashley a cute little cookie jar with some biscotti in it, to thank her for carting my ass to and from work all week. I'm not sure how long she'll have to keep carting me around, but she may end up getting fifteen cookie jars before it's over.

On the menu for the night was shrimp — the peel 'em and eat 'em variety — Texas style (that's where they both lived before coming here), which, in this case, meant soaked in spicy cajun juices and then dumped onto newspaper on the table (the separate piles indicate degree of spiciness).

I've never been much of a seafood fan, and I'm actually kind of creeped out by shrimp (eating them goes against my "don't eat bugs" rule) but they were really good. Spicy enough to make your lips numb (and we were warned not to touch our eyes until we'd washed our hands) but not so spicy that water sizzles when it touches your tongue. I loved the whole dumping-the-food-on-the-table-and-digging-in motif. Easy prep, easy cleanup.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love shrimp, but I don't really dig the peel 'em and eat 'em. I would post why, but I might offend someone, so I won't. The last thing I want to do is offend bloggers (is Ashley a blogger?) that I've never met.

But that pic you posted looks like they've mastered the shrimp-eating experience. Wish I was there. Um, wish I was invited. Er, wish I knew them so I could have done something for them worthy of invited.

*Sigh.* I'll stop now.

Fri Dec 22, 09:11:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

I bet money it's got something to do with the poop, right? The mudvein? (Is that how you spell it? That idiot band has going me wanting to say "mudvayne" and I hope that can't be right.)

Anyway, you won't offend anyone. As far as I know, Ashley doesn't read the blog, and even if she did, I'm sure her feelings about shrimp aren't so strong that she can't take your honest opinion.

It was definitely an interesting meal.

So, spill!

Sun Dec 24, 02:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I can't stand breaking food out of its own corpse.

There. I said it.

Sun Dec 24, 04:07:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Bwa haha. Yeah, it is pretty fantastically disgusting to do that. During dinner I made a comment about accidentally getting some exoskeleton in my mouth, which was amusing for a about half a second. Maybe less.

Sun Dec 24, 09:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home