Thursday, March 2

I've been meme-slapped

Huck, you sneaky devil! Now everyone will know just how many great books I haven't read and how pedestrian all my favorites are. And I had such a ruse going! OK, maybe I didn't.

[1] Name 5 of your favorite books

1. Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson. This book was assigned to me in a Women and Lit class and turned out to be my first foray into the Winterson world. Winterson's dreamlike, visceral style was unlike anything I had read before, and helped rekindle my passion for writing. (In other words, I do my best to rip her off when I can. Amateurs borrow, etc.)

2. Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Yet another book assigned in another class — this one about comedic literature throughout history. I was so enamored with this book that I used a phrase from it for my blog name. Possession of anything new or expensive only reflected a person's lack of theology and geometry; it could even cast doubts upon one's soul. It's such a great story with such great characters.

3. Naked by David Sedaris. This wasn't the first David Sedaris book I read, but it was the one that made me laugh out loud the most. I spent many lonely nights in Birmingham a couple of years ago with nothing but David's tales to keep me occupied. And I've still never been to a reading.

4. The Shining by Stephen King. This book terrifies me to this day. I can't get past the parts about the fire hose in the hall without wincing. Probably the best example of suspenseful writing I could possibly think of.

5. The Passion by Winterson (again). I'm sorry to double dip but this is just such a great book.

[2] What was the last book you bought?

Jon Stewart's Naked Pictures of Famous People, for Fritz.

[3] What was the last book you read?

Dave Eggars' How We Are Hungry.

[4] Name five books that have particular meaning for you.

1. Matilda by Roald Dahl. When I was a kid I wanted nothing more than to either write like Dahl or be one of the kids in his novels. Matilda was my favorite because it was just this little girl against the world. Such a dark theme, but handled so sweetly.

2. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I went through this phase in high school where I read all these weird dystopian novels: Naked Lunch, Nova Express, A Clockwork Orange, etc. Brave New World sort of kicked that off for me and helped me shore up a healthy skepticism about existence and society in general.

3. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Another book I read in high school at the right time. Lots of neurotic identity angst.

4. The Handmaid's Tale. It's scary the things that seem extreme and strictly metaphorical until they aren't so abstract anymore.

5. Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide. Yeah, so I'm a dork and I love this book and always will and still lament the passing of the show.

[5] Three books you are dying to read but just haven't yet.

1. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

2. Kindred by Octavia Butler.

3. Airless Spaces by Shulamith Firestone.

[6] Tag five people to go through this same ordeal.

If you're reading this sentence, you've been tagged. Sucker!

1 Comments:

Blogger J. R. said...

I'm glad someone else went through the dystopian fiction phase. I thought it was just me.

Thu Mar 02, 08:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home