Sunday, March 19

A gentleman caller

This morning I was on my home phone with Phil and someone named Dung Nguyen beeped in. I didn't answer.

Dung Nguyen called back a few minutes later, when I was off the phone. I answered. I heard lots of background noise on his end.

"Hello?"

"DAAAAAA?"

"Hel–LO?"

"DAAAAAAAAA!"

I hung up.

A few minutes later, Dung Nguyen called back. When I answered, I heard a baby crying in the background.

"Hello?"

Silence. Except for a screaming baby.

"HELLO."

Silence. Click.

About half an hour later, Dung Nguyen tried his luck again.

"Hello?"

"Hello?" he replied.

"Can I help you?" I was getting testy.

"Hello?"

"I think you have the wrong number!"

"Wrong number?" he seemed puzzled, as if we hadn't gone round and round two times already. "Someone from this number call me all the time!" he said in fractured English.

"I'm sorry, but I'm the only one who lives here and I have never called your number. I've had this number for about a month. And I swear I've never called you."

"Ohhh. You single?"

"Um, no, not single."

"Ohhhh. What your name?"

"Lindsey."

"Wendy?"

"Yes, Wendy."

"That a pretty name!"

"Thanks."

"Where you from?"

"Hardin County."

"Ohh. You married?"

"No, not married."

"Can I call you again?"

"Um, I think it would be best if you didn't. OK?"

"Best if I didn't?"

"Yeah. Now you have a good day, okay? Buh-bye."

And as I was reaching for the "end" button on the phone, I heard someone on his end say "Give me my fucking phone!" and click.

So I'm not sure if I talked to Dung Nguyen, or if someone was using Dung Nguyen's fucking phone to crank call me or what.

I just hope I'm not dealing with this Dung Nguyen.

2 Comments:

Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

I love Asians. Almost as I much as I love blacks.

Sun Mar 19, 07:40:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

You know, a few times while working drive-thru I've told people my name, and they've thought it was Lindsey. Weird!

Sun Mar 19, 11:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home