Saturday, December 4

[Midnight is where the day begins]
Just now as I was looking up cliches having to do with midnight, I got a rare pop-up. It offered me a free diamond-studded cell phone. I said maybe.

I'm really excited about graduating. I'm ready to begin a new phase in my life where I'm not constantly having to double task all the time, at least not too much. Even though being a full-fledged member of the working class sucks because you're bound to its rat-maze laws for survival, it will be nice to have that one major part of my life – the career – pared down to one solid, independent entity. Right now, my (prospective) career and my preparing for my (prospective) career are two separate but dependent things, each battling for my time. It will be really nice to have an off day that I don't have to spend in a classroom. But as so many have before me, I know I'll miss the slacker student lifestyle, which has suited me well these past couple of years.

Phil has been scheduled to work at 6 a.m. all week and every morning as he has given the alarm the cold shoulder, we've asked each other the same question: Will there ever be a day when we'll be able to sleep and wake like normal people? I don't think either of us will ever hold down a straight 9-5 job. It's just not in the chemistry. Our suburban neighbors would think we were vampires.

I'm still looking for a job. I have an interview with the Commercial Appeal in the next week or two. So far I've gotten rejected by the paper in Maine and pretty much blown off by the one in Fredericksburg. No big deal; I didn't really want either. Memphis would be fantastic. I'm excited, but will stop there because I don't want to jinx it.

Also, the car is okay. There was no (discernible) damage to the tire or wheel, so it still drives. The headlights are intact, too. So I think a big dent and some scrapes can be prettied up without much fuss. I told my parents and my dad was pretty amused and my mom got all motherly and almost went in to baby talk: "Well, honey!" It was great. They're softening up in their old age. ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger phallicpen said...

Your mother has always been nice and soft to me. Boooooya (say it slow).

Congratulations on the Commercial Appeal step. Knuckles Turner is on her way!

Sat Dec 04, 08:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home