Tuesday, September 28

[Even if things get heavy, we'll all float on]
Today is my aunt Vicki's birthday. She's also having a tummy tuck. So I hope she has a swift recovery period. My mom mentioned something about my cousin going under the knife today as well, but I'm not sure of the details. But good luck to both of them.

+++

Thursday is the first debate of the election season (8 p.m.). Perhaps it's a sign of my rising age, but I'm so excited, especially since I'm off work that night and don't have class. And I have cable! I don't remember a time when the two opposing sides have been so desperate to win, so it should -- it better -- be a heated debate during which the candidates actually show us what they're about. The yard sign wars in town are reaching a fever pitch. I hope that people are finally pissed off enough to fire Bush and his cronies and boycott FOX news.

Speaking of FOX, I watched about five minutes of it today and almost lost it. I took my pulse and I was literally about to have a panic attack. It ... makes ... me ... so ... angry. It is blatantly manipulative and dishonest, but yet many without a filter slurp it up as gospel. They must be stopped. And what they have done to the industry must be halted right now. American public discourse is so much worse for it. But it's so hyperbolic that it's got people like me fired up and working against it, so maybe we can derive some good from its lamentable existence.

+++

I filed my intent to graduate form yesterday, so as far as I can tell, I'm on my way to getting out of here. I know I'll miss the student existence when I'm no longer living it, but I'm ready to focus on a career. I'm a little burnt out on the whole school thing. But I know being out of school is often a lot harder than being in school. Either way, I've still got a cushy, priveleged existence to enjoy, so for that I'm grateful.

Amanda might not get to graduate in December because she's one history class short of her minor requirement. And she is pissed because her adviser didn't point that out last semester in time for her to remedy it. I hope someone can pull something for her so she can get out.

Phil is working his ass off at two jobs to make money to pay for his car and other creature comforts (and to pay back those pesky student loans). He has two days off in a row this week, which is a huge treat for him. We'll get to hang out tomorrow finally, after seeing each other for a couple of hours each night and not much more. I live with him but I miss him. Weird.

3 Comments:

Blogger phallicpen said...

I have faith in your unfaltering ambition. Hopefully, I'll pull a million and be able to sponsor your writing career before you can burn out.

I'll be watching the debate along with you from my spiderous cave, kiddo. I sent off for my absentee ballot and am considering voting for Kerry instead of the libertarian candidate this time around. I'm having trouble deciding. Lead me toward the light, Gods of the Polls!

Tue Sep 28, 08:12:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Yes! Vote Kerry so that we can fire Bush and work toward a more progressive political climate in this country. Then in 2008, if Kerry is still toeing the moderate line, we can oust him in favor of an even more progressive, liberterian candidate. But for now, we just have to get Bush out.

Tue Sep 28, 09:56:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Glad to see that your back online at home. I'll be watching those debates too, but how anyone could consider Bush is a mystery to me.

Wed Sep 29, 10:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home