Monday, February 11

Listular: Master procrastination edition

• Random thought that just popped into my head while I was taking a shower: Is Jim Varney dead? Yes. Yes, he is. And what's so weird about that particular thought popping into my head today is that the anniversary of his death was yesterday. My shine is weak.

• I'm sitting here with wet hair and a list of errands that can't be run until the hair is dry. So what am I doing? Nothing that involves picking up the blow dryer, naturally.

built a wall of books between us in our bed

• Somehow I've let my bookshelves overflow and books have begun creeping into the half of my bed that I don't sleep on. I don't mind it all that much, actually. They don't get jealous when I give attention to other books, and they don't get grumpy when I turn on the lamp in the middle of the night, or when I snore or hog the covers, which I would totally never do. But this clearly points to two things: My need for more shelving and my inability these days to pick a book and stick with it the whole way through before cracking open another.

• Actually, I did finish one of those books up there Friday night: Sharon Olds' Blood, Tin, Straw. I know a lot of people are torn about Olds' poetry and some people think is straight-up sucks, but I happen to love it. It's visceral, and often too pragmatic and matter-of-fact while being sweepingly metaphoric, but there is something so fearless about its honesty that I can't help but like it. If you need a sappy love poem to read to your SO this Thursday, you could try this one (forgive the Comic Sans).

• I think I'll go see The Savages some time today. One of the more interesting aspects of being single is the part where you go to movies by yourself. (I know there are some non-single people who do this too; I'm just saying, when I was part of a couple, I never would have gone to a movie alone because there's all sorts of relationship politics tied up in going to see movies without the other partner.) I went last week to see There Will Be Blood by myself, and had a pretty great time. Although, it does feel kind of weird to laugh when there's no one beside you laughing too. (Blood was fantastic, and yes, there were funny parts. At least they were funny to me.)

• I'm ready for spring. And things that are green.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger sarah saint said...

Jim Varney? Wow.

Mon Feb 11, 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Justin W. McGregor said...

I totally get the Jim Varney thing. I tried to kill off Spalding Gray about 8 years before he actually died. I swore to Amber that I heard on CNN that he'd died of cancer... and then he went and showed up on the Today Show about a week later.

Celebrities are the Schroedinger's cat for the masses. They can be both dead and alive for us until we look them up on IMDB.

Mon Feb 11, 10:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home