Wednesday, February 6

Creepy

Storm stuff I totally forgot to mention:

• Last night as the wind kicked up and howled around the buildings downtown, we watched with nervousness as the giant plate-glass windows that front our newsroom bent and bowed with every gust. I just kept imagining them flying out of their frames and into the newsroom, crashing into cubicles and giving out concussions.

• On the way home, blocks and blocks of Midtown were pitch black without power. No street lamps, no stop lights, no friendly neighborhood Mapco to offer weary travelers refuge. It was exceptionally creepy.

• This morning — I'm not even sure what time, but it was before 9 — I was awakened by a loud exploding sound. I'm still not sure what it was. Could have been a transformer expoding. Could have been a Civil War cannon. I've not heard from any other Midtowners who can corroborate what I thought I heard. Which means I could have dreamt it. Which is nuts, because it shook me.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Glad to know that you are safe and all is well with your family too!

Thanks for the damage reports.

Thu Feb 07, 08:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may sound weird, but I have actually had that happen before with the explosion sound waking up. Especially if I've been dozing. It sounds like a monster of one, too. And it scares me and my heart will be racing and I'll look around like, "What the fuck was that?!" and then I realize that it must have been a dream. But it's always so loud and jarring. I usually have the jitters for a few minutes after it happens, which isn't too often, but often enough for me to think that's what may have happened to you.

Thu Feb 07, 06:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, when I wrote "This may sound weird," I didn't realize that it would be describing the following part of the sentence.

Thu Feb 07, 06:02:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i heard it. but i thought it was way earlier than that. who knows...

Thu Feb 07, 06:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You weren't here during the infamous "straight-line wind" aka Hurricane Elvis, I take it ... dark city.

Fri Feb 08, 02:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least the loud explosion wasn't another school shooting...or was it?

Mon Feb 11, 10:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home