Wednesday, October 24

My car is now officially a hooptie

Actually, it only meets three of the criteria for hooptie-dom set forth by this reputable source. (Must open door at drive-thru because window won't roll down, blinkers won't work, and tape deck eats all tapes, for those of you keeping score at home.)

But tonight my car threw me for a loop. I was leaving work and noted how chilly and damp outside it was, and how the last time my window ever rolled down it was cold and snowing. So, just for fun, I pushed the "down" button. And sure enough, the window — which handn't budged in probably a year — began going down. And then I heard a crunch and a screech and all kinds of bad sounds as the window began rolling off the track and setting itself awkwardly and askew in the door.

I freaked out, of course, thinking the window was either going to fall out onto the street or shatter into a million pieces and send glass searing through my eyeballs and neck artery. Neither of those tings happened. I managed to keep it upright enough to not fall out as I made the drive to Phil's, where he helped me get it back on track and taped up so the cold and rain couldn't get in the crack.

This comes less exactly a week after I realized my passenger-side door no longer locks.

I am reluctantly placing myself in the market for a new car. Starting ... now.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger La C. said...

Ugggggg, new car shopping. I vote Corolla. After four years and a major car upgrade, I still miss mine.

Wed Oct 24, 08:34:00 AM  
Blogger nashgirl said...

Clearly that's what you get for messing with the unknown forces that holds cars together. But that story did make me laugh, so it was worth it.

Wed Oct 24, 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger sarah saint said...

Duuuuude. Me, too. My car has crossed the line from mischeivous into bastardly territory. It started with harmless little quirky things, probably meant just to get my attention ratehr than to be blatantly malicious: radio dials falling off, sometimes the window (which is manual, btw; it's a '96 Corsica) stuck a little going down or coming up, engine light coming on when there's nothing wrong, etc. Over this summer, though, my darling went evil. Brakes going out, belt shredding itself repeatedly, etc. And I'm pretty sure I hear her snickering every time I ask, "Well how much is THAT going to cost to fix?" So I'm in the market as of yesterday.

I like the looks of the new Chevy Malibu hybrid. Heard anything?

Thu Oct 25, 04:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend Toyota. They seem to last for a long time without nickel-and-diming you.

Thu Oct 25, 05:01:00 PM  
Anonymous want to sell my car said...

i prefer to use Ferrari and Chevrolet..they have a great engine too..

Thu Dec 20, 12:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home