Monday, October 22

Random things that are awesome

I just got up an hour ago and I need a shower something fierce, but not before I do what's really important and post random bulleted items to my beloved internet web log.

• The first season of Flight of the Conchords is going on sale Nov. 6. This is perfect timing because it gives me the entire holiday season to memorize plenty of references to quote throughout 2008. It's time I expanded my pop-culture-reference framework beyond Futurama and Strangers With Candy. And The Office.

• Check out this video of an Arizona college marching band doing a Radiohead show:



Cox sent me a link to this one, which has better quality sound and video, but it's not the whole show.

I'm sure to the uninitiated, the part near the end of "The National Anthem" that is so dissonant probably sounds like a bad band just playing loud. But it's all kinds of awesome if you know the song's chaos by heart.

This video and this weather are making me miss the marching-band days of yore. Holding hands with my senior boyfriend during road trips. Sweating through that smelly wool uniform. Losing and then finding my plume. Losing and then finding my gloves. Polishing my white shoes. Spit valves.

We never played anything quite as cool as Radiohead (we did play some Otis Redding and Jefferson Airplane, though!), although I've always dreamed of an all-Doors field show. Lots of their songs have a perfect marching tempo.

Yeah, marching-band nerdery. Awesome.

• Sometimes you find found art and sometimes found art finds you. I like to think that this drawing (or "drawering," if I was British) found me as it skittered casually across the street as my car was turning from Philadelphia onto Young yesterday.

hershel orion bojangles III, esq.

I've named him Hershel Orion Bojangles III, Esq. He runs a love den on South Main (in which he dances in worn-out shoes) and hopes to one day be your congressman.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As evidenced by the Pink Floyd show, perhaps the Pride of Arizona Marching Band is directed by a raging stoner?

Mon Oct 22, 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

The sousaphones running around the snares in the song after the announcement? FUCKING AMAZING.

The "chaos"? Didn't hear it. I don't listen to Radiohead that much, either, so I guess that just makes me a super-uber band nerd.

The push after the trio (trumpet, trombone, and mellophone), also fucking amazing. The field commander makes me giggle.

Okay. I admit it. I miss marching band.

Mon Oct 22, 05:14:00 PM  
Blogger fearlessvk said...

i like jefferson airplane. do i have to surrender my Cool Creative Class Urban 25-34 Savior Card?

Mon Oct 22, 08:04:00 PM  
Blogger fearlessvk said...

that was supposed to say: i like jefferson airplane more than radiohead.

Mon Oct 22, 08:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

~ sighs fondly over recalled band geekery ~

I still stop and listen and gawk when the drumline starts practicing on campus. I looove it.

I've named him Hershel Orion Bojangles III, Esq. He runs a love den on South Main (in which he dances in worn-out shoes) and hopes to one day be your congressman.

Brilliant. I'll be the volunteer coordinator. You're going to be his communications director, eh? Share your gift, share the love.

I'd be especially psyched to see your campaign responses to the bimbo-ad attacks. "What?!? Hershel Orion Bojangles III loves the ladies! He loves the mens! He loves EVERbody! That's why Hershel Orion Bojangles III is running -- to serve his community as YOUR congressman! Y'all get on the bus now."

Tue Oct 23, 09:41:00 AM  
Blogger phallicpen said...

I wish I'd been the one to hear "Band sucks!" screamed at me as I practiced on the field.

Instead of the other way around.

Tue Oct 23, 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Cox, truer words have likely never been spoken.

Squeaky, the chaos comes during the soloists' bits, when things seem to almost fall apart but then don't. And you're right — the push is awesome.

Fearless, indeed you do. You must cut it in half and then burn it on a fire fueled by Arcade Fire records.

Grandefille, I would work for Hershel Orion Bajangles but he insists on paying me in incense and lottery tickets and I find that unacceptable. :)

PP, there's still time! Get yourself a trumpet and run around on your lawn playing it all morning. Someone's bound to drive by and yell something at you.

Tue Oct 23, 01:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home