Tuesday, October 23

Day 295 — Pumpkin Patch

[for Monday, Oct, 22]

pumpkin patch

Ever since they tore down that old antique mall building on the corner of Union and Cooper, a giant inflatable holiday icon has graced the corner whenever Halloween and Christmas has rolled around. I've never actually stopped to check out the goods, but I've always very much admired the little patch of color in an otherwise grey part of Midtown.

I stopped yesterday, intent on getting a pumpkin, and was pretty shocked to see how much those things are going for. The standard pumpkins like those in the photo — you know, those nice and round and orange with plenty of carving area) are priced anywhere from $12 to $20. !!!

There are even pumpkins the size of your average toddler that are priced at $100. Um, huh?

Needless to say, I did not shell out $15 for a frigging pumpkin. Instead, I got two small pumpkins for $2 each, and a pot of yellow mums for $6 (still overpriced, but they were pretty and it rounded my total out to $10). I'll be scouting for cheaper pumpkins this week.

Project 365

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know it's been a little rough, weatherwise, for pumpkin peddlers, but those prices are robbery of the highway sort...i don't know if this helps, but we snagged ours for 4 bucks at kroger and they had plenty of carving space...i even researched my vhs tape of nightmare before christmas for pumpkin face ideas, a nod to your outstanding jack pumpkin...i went for his pumpkin king look...

-mouse

Tue Oct 23, 01:22:00 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

three bucks and change at easy way.

Tue Oct 23, 01:34:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

Yes, Easy way is the way to go for pumpkins. I got three for a pumpkin carving party this weekend.

Given the fact that I will most definitely mutilate (and not in a good way) the first one before I get my ideas perfected (or to a somewhat presentable state) cheap is a must.

Wed Oct 24, 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

mouse, neat! Do you have a picture of your Jack pumpkin? This guy has a good take on it too.

Looks like Easy Way is the way to go. I'm gonna hit 'em up today.

Wed Oct 24, 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Um, I don't think that link is working.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?
fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=224963874

Wed Oct 24, 12:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home