Tuesday, June 12

Hot time, summer in the city OR Instant karma

It should be of no surprise that my small victory over nature would prove to be Pyrrhic.

I left for work with this gaping hole in my wall:

hole

I was under the impression that the air conditioner would be returned at 5 p.m. or so. And by "I was under the impression," I mean "the contractor lady told me to my face." So imagine my surprise when my landlord called to tell me at 6 or so that they wouldn't be bringing it back until tomorrow morning. (Which probably means tomorrow night.) He was very nice and offered me a free night at a hotel, but I'm no pampered socialite; I can stick it out for a night without AC. It's not even July yet!

That said, it's a balmy 84 degrees in my living room, and I'm considering ushering in a new age of naked blogging. Or better yet, I should turn off the computer so it won't put off any heat.

Perhaps the most disturbing thing about this whole ordeal is the fact that naught but a flimsy sheet of tinfoil separates me from an angry family of birds that's probably going to be looking for its home and, when that goes undiscovered, the meanie who disposed of it like trash. Hey, there she is, sleeping. We'll show her a rude awakening!

Update, 10:33 a.m.:* The hilarity of life's randomness is just too much sometimes. Like, when you're awakened at 6:30 a.m. by a pop! outside your window, at which point you realize your power's gone out. And when the sluggish, hot air in your 84-degree apartment becomes very still and quiet, and you try putting a wet washcloth on your head to cool down a bit so you can go back to sleep, it's hilarious waking up every fifty minutes in a damp pool of saltwater, checking your phone to see if it's mercifully time to get up yet. Thankfully, the power came back on thirty minutes ago or so, so I at least have a fan. But those bastards still haven't returned my AC. I wonder if it was a scam and they just made off with it...

*If all of this is making me sound incredibly spoiled, it's because I am.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger La C. said...

You would think, and I am no landlord and therefore no expert on this issue, but you WOULD think that the more appropriate time to service all the AC units in the building would be in the WINTER, when they aren't in use. Once again, note that I am not a landlord and therefore no expert on issues like this.

Wed Jun 13, 04:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiny powerful beaks.

I am SO sorry that you are my friend, because I just had to. HAD TO. But I did it with love. :)

Wed Jun 13, 09:03:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

PT, I will cut you!!

La, will you be my landlord?!

Wed Jun 13, 10:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know, and I'm sorry.

I've been meaning to tell you for ages that Carlos Mencia is a shiftless douche, but I see by his advent into your Bitchlist that you have come to that conclusion on your own.

My work here is done.

Thu Jun 14, 12:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home