Wednesday, January 24

Lockdown

Someone at my old high school shot himself this morning — in the head, over a "piece of tail," my sources tell me*.

The latest reports say he's still alive, and in Jackson for treatment. I'm told his name is Brian Clayton, which doesn't ring a bell as the only Claytons I knew growing up were girls.

This is the second time in two weeks the school has been locked down due to gun violence. Last Wednesday, there was a love triangle shootout across the street at Ideal Florist, where Tamara's mom used to work (thank god she doesn't work there anymore).

Several kids who were in classrooms within view of the crime scene heard the first shot, and then looked out the windows in time to see the husband shoot his wife's arm off, then blow his own head off.

Then, of course, mere hours later, the fleet of buses coming from the middle school down the street passed by the crime scene. My oldest nephew got to see quite a gruesome scene from his green vinyl seat that afternoon.

Back when I was in high school, some kid — a basketball player, no less — brought a gun to school and, while nothing happened, it set into motion an entire clusterfuck of stupid ideas authored by the school board to eliminate students' abilities to bring guns to school. The plan mostly involved a dress code that included bans on frayed pant hems and shirts with any print unless it was a name brand (in other words, no Tweety Bird screen prints, but Tommy Hilfiger was fine). I remember giving a very wobbly, very parched speech to the school board about how horrible their plan was, and I remember them basically shrugging and moving on.

Looks like if their little dress code is still in place, it's not done much to discourage people from bringing weapons to school.

I hope that kid's okay, and that the rest of the kids are, too.

*My brother's friend, who's still in high school, called him when it happened and gave him the skinny. But I imagine it's heavily rumor-fied. So, grains of salt for everyone.

12 Comments:

Blogger Lynnster said...

Ugh. I hate things like this happening around smalltown West TN. I know I've been out of HS 20+ years, but some of the things happening in my little hometowns these days just break my heart. I think there was a "gun brought to school" incident in Camden fairly recently but nothing happened. Something like that.

PS I'm starting to get a craving for a Huey burger, we should try to get together in the next couple of weeks or so. I'll email you soon...

Wed Jan 24, 02:35:00 PM  
Blogger sarah saint said...

Yeah. One of the local radio stations is making a spectacle of the situation. I can understand addressing it and well-wishing, but they're having callers who don't know the student get on the air and say how much "it sucks", when they obviously just want to be on the radio. The d.j. finished by giving a few sensitive comments about hoping "the kid doesn't end up a vegetable" and playing that Enya song that was so big after 9/11. Classy.

Wed Jan 24, 08:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy, shit! THE LOVE TRIANGLE IS MY FUCKING FAMILY!!!!!!

Angie is my cousin Chris's ex-wife. She was divorcing Terry and seeing Melvin Pipes, who's a close friend of the family that worked in the funeral home. Apparently Terry threatened to kill them. And he tried. He died. Angie lost her arm in an operation to save her. She's having trouble breathing my family says.

I can't fucking believe I didn't know about this. Holy shit. Brooke was in the ER for both events.

Jesus.

People started calling Dad thinking that Dad had shot Mom. Wow. Fucking scanner-listening assholes. They heard that a man going through a divorce had shot his wife that worked there.

I'm going to go find out more now.

Wed Jan 24, 09:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe Terry's dead. I wasn't particularly close to him, but I still can't believe he shot himself.

Apparently Melvin ducked into the floorboard. He's Kristy Pipes's dad. We're related somehow. I think they're my cousins.

Over Christmas Chris was going on and on about Terry and Angie's marital problems. Terry had told them that if he saw them together again he'd kill them.

Angie has had at least three operations on her abdomen. She may not make it.

Wed Jan 24, 09:20:00 PM  
Blogger sarah saint said...

Wow. I heard about that days ago, but of course I didn't know you knew them.

Wed Jan 24, 09:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, my parents, too, said that if the boy lives he will be a vegetable. From what I heard earlier I though he was going to pull through and be okay. It's heartbreaking. All of it.

Wed Jan 24, 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger sarah saint said...

I had heard that elsewhere. I just couldn't believe he was tasteless enough to use that phrase on the air.

It is heartbreaking. I just wonder what he was going through. And I'm sure some adult told him that he'd be over whatever it was in a few years. I think the worst thing you can do to someone who's depressed is to make their pain seem trivial.

Wed Jan 24, 10:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, you're living in CORINTH. Get used to it. Cattle auctions and tastelessness.

Wed Jan 24, 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger sarah saint said...

Hey, now. Corinth has its good points. At least it was Union-sympathetic during the Civil War.

http://www.corinth.net/NEW%20SITE/History/facts.htm

Wed Jan 24, 10:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Settle! All in good fun.

Wed Jan 24, 10:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LT, sorry to use your blog as a chat room.

Love ya, homie!

Wed Jan 24, 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Lynnster — sounds like a fine idea!

TB and SS — no problem at all. I'm enjoying reading along. Please carry on!

Thu Jan 25, 12:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home