Monday, January 22

This movie will scare the bejesus out of you


Can't wait until I see this asshole in my dreams tonight.

If you get a chance, go see Pan's Labyrinth.

I'm not even sure I am equipped to provide a synopsis of this sprawlingly dark fable. It's a twisted take on the coming-of-age journey, where innocence isn't just lost, but never really existed.

I spent half the movie with my face in my sweatshirt.

UPDATE, Jan. 25: Fresh Air recently had an interview with the film's director, Guillermo Del Toro, which is actually really fascinating. Del Toro talks about growing up in Mexico amid the type of violence that informs the film and its lack of childhood innocence. He also talks about crafting the monsters for the film — the benevolent faun, the cruel captain, and the pale man (pictured above). I was particularly interested in how Del Toro created the pale man; he said he read up on child psychology and found that children, when faced with horrifying nightmarish creatures, tend to displace and confuse eyes and mouths, hence the creature's unconventional facial features. Take a listen.

4 Comments:

Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

I wanna see it! It's not playing at the cheapo movie theater beside my apartment yet where you can watch films for 3 dollars. The only good films they have are 'Dreamgirls' and 'Steppin Up.'

Tue Jan 23, 09:44:00 AM  
Blogger sarah saint said...

I really want to see this. Looks... well, I don't know. It looks like something I'd enjoy.

Tue Jan 23, 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

If you're into watching a psycho military dude beat some poor farmer's face in with a beer bottle, stroke by stroke, then this movie is for you.

Bonus: There's a child-eating monster!

Wed Jan 24, 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger nashgirl said...

Some of those scenes were so fantastic I couldn't look away. Others I didn't even want to hear. But it was an awesome story. And I cried. I give it two thumbs up.

Thu Jan 25, 04:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home