Saturday, April 8

Blackout

Midtown is dark right now. Some time after 11, my apartment went silent (all the fans just stopped; I hate a lack of fan noise). After an hour, I fretted about trying to take a shower; my bathroom gets no sunlight and I was afraid I wouldn't have any hot water. But last night I was asked to come in early today for some sweet overtime action (we're two designers short) and I wasn't going to come to work without bathing. So I turned my MagLite into a candle (spiffy!) and crossed my fingers in the hope that my hot water would last. And it did.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love my shower?

Love it.

I went out into the chilly afternoon with wet hair (Wendy's favorite pastime) and drove down Union, surveying the cityscape. All the businesses had erected handwritten "closed" signs, lights were out, and each intersection was full of motorists trying to remember if, when a red light's not working, they should let the person to the left or right of them go.

I got to the office -- which has power -- and asked our news editor what's going on. He says a substation is down and they're not sure when it'll be back up.

Fun.

UPDATE (2:15): Power's back up!

1 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Aww, I'm so honored that you remember my hatred for hair dryers!

Also, thanks for the e-mail. We are all fine. I wish I could say the same for the rest of the city.

Sun Apr 09, 04:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home