Friday, April 7

Requisite Friday weather blogging

The tornado sirens have finally stopped. A crack of thunder and a quick downpour woke me up not too long ago. And then the sirens. That's always a bit disorienting as you're waking up. I turned on the radio and the friendly accent-less weather service man said there was a tornado (or warning? I was still practically asleep) in Germantown, moving northeast toward Bartlett.

Brandon, this could put a chink in your weekend plans.

Sunday night, Phil and I sat on the riverbank at Martyrs Park (no, there's really not an apostraphe, for some reason) and watched the big storm roll in. We went downtown and into the Bigfoot Lounge for some dinner. The city was bustling with evening visitors when we went inside. As we sat and ate our burgers, it began pouring rain. When we stepped back onto the street, the tornado sirens were screaming and the streets had emptied. The walk back to the parking garage was surreal and sort of like something out of an apocalyptic zombie movie. I expected the Hare Krishna we'd seen walking on the riverfront to chase after us and try to eat our brains.

2 Comments:

Blogger Memphis Chix said...

I believe the lack of apostrophe is due to the fact that it isn't the martyr's park so it's not posessive. The park is in memoriam and thanks, not a park for martyrs. Kudos for even noticing that! I'm impressed.

Fri Apr 07, 01:28:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

I was thinking it would at least be Martyrs' Park. But I see what you're saying about it not being a park for martyrs.

It's just a weird word that I wanted to complicate with punctuation!

Fri Apr 07, 02:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home