Saturday, January 7

De plane ! De plane!

And now, the second entry in the Irrational Fears Proven Not So Irrational Thanks to a Story Linked on Fark.

This one comes to us via, yet again, the UK, where freak accidents happen all the time, apparently.

A cyclist said he thought he was going to die after an auxiliary fuel tank from an RAF Harrier jet fell from the sky and missed him by inches.

...

The empty, 10ft-long metal tank landed on a grass verge near the A3124 road at Winkleigh, Devon, police said.

Les Sprason, who lives in the village, said the fuel tank had spiralled over his head while he cycled along the country road.

...

The tank fell from the jet and landed in a field with a dull thud. Mr Sprason added: "It came over the road, over my head, somersaulting, and impacted into a hedgerow. It ruptured itself, and the aviation fuel was pouring out."


My apartment rests comfortably beneath an area of sky where planes begin their descent and prepare to land at the airport. At night, as I lie in bed waiting for sleep to come, I listen to the swelling drone of the planes as they approach the apartment, wondering each time if, a la Donnie Darko or the 2005 War of the Worlds, one of them (or some stray parts) will find its/their way into my bedroom.

And now it feels great to know that that fear is no longer irrational.

2 Comments:

Blogger phallicpen said...

Now you'll never cycle.

Sun Jan 08, 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Good thing I never even considered starting cycling, except for that one time when that clown was chasing me across a parking lot and I stole a unicycle from some deaf kid to make my escape.

And I am totally worried about nuclear zombies. Also, the military equipment that passes through here (tanks, hello?) in the middle of the night creeps me out ever so slightly. Good thing I'm moving to the part of town where there are no zombies, only crackheads and tarot card readers.

Tue Jan 10, 01:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home