Tuesday, May 17

[Paris Hilton is mentioned in this post!!!]
There are days when I hate this town, and days when I love it. Hate: crappy apartment service and general loneliness. Love: the drive-in theater and spending the whole day with the back door open, squinting at the sunlight. So I'm adjusting. Slowly.

We spent my two off days in the Summer Avenue area. Sat under the stars and watched House of Wax, which, god help me for saying this, wasn't actually that bad. (You can make any movie suck substantially less if you see it at a drive-in, where you can sit and snark openly in the privacy of your own car.) Paris Hilton has a righteous death scene involving her whole forehead being impaled, and the cartharsis was worth my $6.50. It's a cliched, silly little horror film with ill-timed promiscuity and silly serial killer rednecks, but it was better than Amityville Horror. Of course, that doesn't mean too much.

Speaking of serial killers, we had lunch at The Cottage, this little restaurant in an old house on Summer. It smelled and looked like a granny's trailer, down to the grease splatters on the peeling, yellowed floral wallpaper. The food was good, though. We sat beneath a signed portrait of some knife thrower who'd been in an Antonio Banderas movie. I kept thinking it looked like a place a serial killer would sit down and think for a while.

Then we hit a couple of the thrift stores along the strip and found nothing we couldn't live without.

We also made it a point to drive around the Rhodes College area, which is really nice. How I pine for a house on a shady lane.

2 Comments:

Blogger nashgirl said...

I almost went there and then my parents pointed to the pricetag and we left Memphis with a dark cloud over our heads.

Wed May 18, 03:04:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Yeah, it's ridiculously pricey. Want to know what's sad? For the longest time I had no idea that "Rhodes scholar" has nothing to do with that Rhodes. Derrr.

Wed May 18, 08:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home