Sunday, April 11

And now I sit around and lie to myself
Yesterday: shopping with Joey, Marie, and Amber in Nashville. Lots of little shops filled with incense and unwanted T-shirts. I bought a cool blue pullover button-up and and Hardee's tee. I got some wooden blue bangles for $2 and some ridiculous sunglasses for $8. I must say, the thrift scene in Nashville is way pricier than the humble digs in my hometown. There, you can rummage through a box of shirts that are a quarter each. Here, one shirt can be anywhere from $8-$30.

We also stopped by OutLoud, where I bought Rita Mae Brown's Venus Envy. I spent my Books-a-Million giftcard the other day and got Jeanette Winterson's The Passion, Aldous Huxley's Island and Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. I'm behind on my reading. I have a whole pile of books vying for my attention. And yet I keep buying more. I suppose I should work my way through my borrowed books first: Kristin's The Sirens of Titan, Amber's Art and Lies, Hitchiker's Guide, and The Second Sex. I'm sure there are more. This summer I should have plenty of time to devour some good reads.

Last night, Jimmy, Kristin, Phil and I watched Battle Royale, a Japanese film about these kids who are boycotting school. The punishment is that by impartial lottery, about 40 are chosen to be put on a deserted island, where they have to fight to the death. Only one of them can live, or they will all be killed. The winner gets to go home. So all these 14-year-old kids have to kill their friends and people in other cliques they don't like. It's a parable, really, about the fleeting nature of friendship and trust. Heh. Or it could be just about watching kids kill each other. Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home