Wednesday, June 18

Conversations with the Rite Aid clerk — famous actress edition

Clerk [as I place a bag of cat food and a half gallon of skim milk (the official purchase of cat ladies everywhere) on the counter]: You look like the actress Karen Allen! I saw her on TMZ the other day.

Me: Oh, really? Thanks! [stops to think of who Karen Allen is and comes up with the squeaking sounds of a vacant cranial mouse wheel] Uh, is that good or bad? I'm not sure I can think of who that is...

Clerk: Oh, you look like her when she was younger. Like when she was in Shoot the Moon.

Me: ... [blank stare, credit-card swipe] Uhhh, was she one of Charlie's Angels? No, wait. They were...

Clerk: No, that was Cheryl Ladd, Farrah Fawcett, and ... oh no, this is really bad.

Me: Was there a Karen? No, a Kate!

Clerk: Kate Jackson!

Me: Yeah!

Clerk: Yeah, no. Karen Allen was in Shoot the Moon with Albert Finney.

Me: Ahhhhh! [feigning recognition] That kind of rings a bell.

Clerk: Well, Karen Allen is at home now having babies. Being a housewife. I just happened to think of her because I saw her on TMZ the other day. [hands me receipt and my bag] Give my love to your kitty cat!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can see the resemblance. Although I don't think I would've used something as relatively obscure as "Shoot the Moon" as a reference for someone who hadn't heard of her; I'd have said "the first Indiana Jones movie, and the current one."

She's a lovely woman (and a very underrated actor), so that was a nice compliment. Even if you don't run around in a ragged wedding dress and let snakes crawl through your peep-toe pumps.

(I think I just created your zombie costume for next year, didn't I? Heh.)

Thu Jun 19, 07:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeek. Of course I forgot an appropriate link to a good photo, but here's one at to give you an idea.

Also, please relay hugs and smooches to the kittehs and Felix the Great.

Thu Jun 19, 07:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah. I hate HTML in Blogger. Even when it looks right in the preview, it's wrong.

I shall stop posting now.

Thu Jun 19, 07:41:00 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Yeah, what a random freakin' reference point, especially with the new movie that just came out.

I totally see the resemblance, and that photo that grandefille posted was the one I was going to send you. :-)

Thu Jun 19, 07:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Scrooged!

Now she's a big knitter or weaver or something and has her own store. I fall in love with her whenever I come across an article about her.

Thu Jun 19, 08:10:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

lolz @ Grandefille. Once I realized who Karen Allen was, I couldn't believe he couldn't have made a more obvious reference.

I would have gotten a Scrooged reference for sure!

Thu Jun 19, 08:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home