Wednesday, December 19

Day 352 —Right Now

[for Tuesday, Dec. 18]

right now — dec 18


Let me tell you something about Chicago. What they've got there is the coldest cold I have ever felt. And I know that it gets so much colder. There and elsewhere in the world. Soooo much colder.

The wind is bad, yes, but even without it, the air will kick your ass without first bothering to learn your name. I was outside without gloves at around 8 p.m. Monday for about three minutes before I was like, "HOLY SHIT I NEED GLOVES, STAT!" My knuckles had turned the color of meaty red bruises and I could barely bend my fingers. Even inside my pockets, my hands weren't safe. I ducked into a Walgreens and bought some gloves and managed to stay outside for twenty more minutes before I gave in and went back inside and punched the thermostat up to 74.

It must be what being in space feels like.

Project 365

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger WordK said...

Oh, I understand. Fortunately, after a couple of cold spells during which I swore my little southern bred self was going to die, the weather has decided to be fairly warm in Saint Petersburg for the past few weeks.

Wed Dec 19, 05:53:00 AM  
Blogger La C. said...

Oh my, you were just across the lake. Please tell me you went and saw the lake. I was informed the other day that it is going to get much colder here this winter, since technically, winter hasn't really started yet. When I asked how cold, I was informed that for a couple of weeks it will be down in the -20's. That's right, negative. As far as cranking the thermostat in your hotel, enjoy that. When you pay for your utilities up here you're lucky to keep it set at anything over 62º.


AND once again I have a mile long verification word. What's the deal with that. I can never get the right the first try.

Wed Dec 19, 06:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it invigorating? It's bizarre to me, but it seems much colder when there isn't snow on the ground.

Over the weekend the wind chill here was 2°.

Wed Dec 19, 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger fearlessvk said...

i went to college in hanover, nh. one day while i was there, i was trying to decide whether or not to walk across campus to see a movie. it felt unusually cold, and i was dilly-dallying in my friend's room. (i am definitely old, i just used the term "dilly-dallying") we were listening to the radio, and they started talking about how insanely cold it was. and they mentioned the fact that just across the river in vermont, the farmers were freaking out because it was so cold that their cows' ears were FREEZING AND FALLING OFF. at that point, i decided i liked my ears and i wasn't going anywhere.

Wed Dec 19, 11:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home