Thursday, June 7

Day 158 — Fairview

fairview tiles

When I first moved to Memphis and saw Fairview Junior High, I thought it was an old abandoned school building. It's definitely not abandoned; it's an active city school. It looks run-down, all right, but up close it's got some of the most beautiful art-deco details I've ever seen on a school building. They just don't make buildings like this anymore.

Anyone know what "night nuit nox" means?

Update: Palm Tree and La tell me that it means "night night night." (Thanks, y'all!) Which is odd. I didn't look at the other stone cap thingy (architecture terms elude me) on the facade, but I'm betting it says something like "day day day." I'll have to go back to check.

Project 365

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure "nuit" is French for "night." Maybe "nox" is Latin for "night," and they're trying to say Night...night...um, night.

?

Fri Jun 08, 04:12:00 AM  
Blogger La C. said...

Night Night Night. My curiosity is piqued.

Fri Jun 08, 08:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home