Friday, October 20

Somewhere in time and space

You can bet that if I suddenly non-sequitur during a conversation, I am either quoting from "Futurama" or "Mystery Science Theater 3000." It's just how I roll.

Both shows are brimming with quotable hilarity, even if everyone else thinks I'm just spewing gibberish (which I can do without quoting TV shows, thankyouverymuch).

I love "MST3K" so much that every time I go into a music/video store, I spend several minutes sulking over by the DVD section because there are so many episodes I don't have in my collection.

My collection, of course, consists of about three box sets of MST3K episodes on VHS (one set even came with a pair of boxers featuring Crow and Servo and witty quote bubbles!), along with about 20 or 30 VHS tapes with two to three episodes each taped crudely onto them from the Sci-Fi Channel, back when they aired episodes twice on Saturdays. Some of the tapes even retain the lovely late-'90s commercials between episode segments, when I wasn't around to stop and restart recording. Ahhh, those were the days. The Psychic Hotline was the shit!

Anyhoo, Phil left a hilarious MST3K blooper reel ("Poopie I," I believe, which I own on legitimate VHS) on my MySpace page the other day, at which point it dawned on me that a lot of great MST3K stuff was probably residing over on YouTube — illegally, of course, along with everything else — and I could get my fix any time I wanted.

So, before Google takes over and purges the site of everything that's not licensed to be there, I have to share these clips from one of my all-time favorite episodes, Space Mutiny. (Don't be surprised if I start posting these videos ALL THE TIME. I am not kidding when I say I love this show and if I need to make an MST3K shrine out of this blog, I will do it.)



INSTANT UPDATE: "Werewolf" is a fantastic episode, too. "Paul, you is a wahr-weelf!" is one of my favorite non-sequiters. And this clip is hilarious:

6 Comments:

Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

How many a Saturday morning was wasted digesting the utter genius of MST3K. The CableAce awards are never wrong, are they? And even though Billy O' Reilly claims he won a Peabody, so did the mischief-prone lunkards of MST3K. God bless 'em. Have you seen the feature film?

Fri Oct 20, 04:04:00 PM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Fri Oct 20, 04:05:00 PM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

Wasted is not the right word. Maybe the snark-infested witticisms were preparing me for a career in becoming a sarcastic asshole.

Fri Oct 20, 04:05:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

When/if you ever move back to Tennessee, you and I are totally going to have an MST3K viewing party.

Yep, I own the feature. I actually think it's far inferior to many other episodes. But, it's still awesome. I have the poster in my living room too.

Fri Oct 20, 04:52:00 PM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

I'm coming back for Christmas!

Sat Oct 21, 02:34:00 PM  
Blogger John H said...

Lindsey - thanks for giving me the best medicine i've had all week.

'it's still better than Days of Thunder'...damn..i'm almost crying

bless you

Sun Oct 22, 12:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home