Thursday, July 13

Half a world away

The train bombing in India hasn't quite dominated the news the way last summer's London bombings did, and I've read various criticisms of why that might be, most of which boil right down to "brown people tend to blow each other up a lot, so it's no biggie." Of course I don't know if that's the case; I can only speculate and say that it does seem odd that our collective shock over here seems more subdued than when terrorists blew up Europeans.

I haven't been watching much TV news lately so I can't speak on that behalf, but I can say that I have heard stories of news editors questioning even putting it on their front pages.

Strange. Sad, too.

Regardless, one of the most fascinating places to read up on the whole ordeal is at the Mumbai Metroblog. I'm a bit late to the metroblogging party, I'm sure, but it's a superb way for citizen journalists to get nearly real-time content to the masses, practically unfiltered.

Memphis should get a metroblog. Big Brother Nashville (tm Serrabee) has had one for a while now, and I can't think of a single reason why Memphis shouldn't get on board.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Roy Hollihan said...

First of all, you're back! Yay!

I think you're at least partly right about the India bombings. Look at how little attention the African embassy bombings got in the Nineties. I also think that maybe it's the Al Qaida angle. Indonesian and Australasian Al Qaida stuff gets little mention in America either. Maybe it's the idea that it's not just Americans they're mad at that bothers some in the Big Media?

And last, you're right. Memphis really does need some sort of community blog. Maybe something like the WKRN Nashville is Talking blog.

Thu Jul 13, 03:31:00 PM  
Blogger Michael Roy Hollihan said...

Ummm .... That should read "... that it's not just WESTERNERS they're mad at ...."

Thu Jul 13, 03:33:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Yay! indeed. Glad to be back.

Think you're onto something with your point about the al Qaida angle. Still, very odd.

An NiT-like blog for Memphis would be great. I feel like the Memphis blogosphere could use some TLC from within to get it to be more cohesive and more community-minded.

Thu Jul 13, 04:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home