Friday, November 4

Meet the parents ... in the parking lot

The parents stopped by the office tonight to visit. They're in town for the Elton John show. My dad was cracking me up, telling me he thought about wearing a shirt that said, "I'm with her" and an arrow pointing to my mom. He said he had been taking some good-natured ribbing at work. I think he'll have a fabulous time, and I think he knows it.

My mom brought me a pair of Crocs, which are apparently the latest sensation in plastic footwear. It's really weird and random that she did that, because I had been thinking about how silly it was for us to run a story about a footwear fad in the Metro section today. As a centerpiece. It amounts to advertising for the Crocs company. At the very least, the story should have run in the lifestyle section. The company is not Memphis-based. There's no local angle other than "these middle school girls are wearing them." And I'd hate to see a news budget based on that as a guiding force behind our coverage.

UPDATE (11:09 p.m.): My dad just called and said Elton rocked so hard that it was the best concert he'd ever been to. He and my mom deserved a fun night out; I hope they have many more, much more often.

4 Comments:

Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

Did Elton rock with his cock out...because that would've been just gay.

Sat Nov 05, 04:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What?

So THAT'S what those things are! I've been seeing them everywhere and feeling like I missed something. Like I feel when I see flip-flops. And the comment above this one. Are they comfy? What's the deal, man?

Sat Nov 05, 04:11:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Joey, I think he rocked out with his metaphorical cock out. Literally doing so would have shocked and appalled his aging crowd, I think. He's no Robbie Williams!

PT, I tried the things on and they are totally weird, but not uncomfortable. They're actually generic knock-offs of Crocs, but they look exactly the same. They're made of this toxic-smelling foam stuff, and I imagine if I ever stepped on broken glass or a rusty nail that they wouldn't put up much of a fight. I don't understand what has made them so popular. Is tetanus a big fad these days?

Sun Nov 06, 10:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a dude wearing an orange pair with a brown suit and tie on campus. Well, comfort transcends style. I just hope they don't start to reek like synthetics sometimes do. Visit my yoga mat for details.

Mon Nov 07, 11:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home