Tuesday, January 4

[It's all the same to me]
I got a voice mail today from Scott Sines, the creative director at the C-A. He said things are still the same; we're playing the waiting game. He said that the process is "clumsy" and taking longer than he thinks it should. I don't know if I should be comforted by that. I found some online unrest the other day regarding the Appeal. It turns out that some current and former employees don't like the way Mr. Sines and a few others came in from the paper in Spokane to revamp the Appeal. While I generally don't like the idea of outsiders coming in to replace long-time team members, in the case of this paper, I'm not sure it's a bad thing. The guys who came in to redesign the paper have truly done a great job. Just looking at the Appeal from a year or two ago versus now, it's obvious that they're moving in the right direction. And the fact that they're even considering me to help them continue that movement is really exciting. Here's hoping that the old-timers won't resent a young whipper-snapper like me. If I even get on board, that is.

So the site redesign is coming along. It's very, very basic. I never could figure out how to get frames to work, but frames sort of suck anyway, so I'm utilizing tables instead. They help keep things in grids. Eventually I want to have the splash page be nothing but the head graphic and the site title. Then you will click on a portion of the cranium and it will take you to a particular area of the site. That's actually really Phil's idea, but what's his is mine, so ha! I'm not sure what I have to learn to get that done (flash? java?), but I think Nick might eventually get around to ganking a copy of Dreamweaver for me, so that's a start. I'm actually pretty happy with my progress so far. I've gone from being virtually clueless about the ins and outs of HTML to knowing most of the basic script required in a web document.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home