Wednesday, April 23

The importance of proper letter spacing

Back in eighth grade, I had a literature teacher who kept me after class one day to ask me a question about something I'd written in my poetry journal. Back in the day, my schtick was to make drawings in the margins of my journals, illustrating whatever it was that I had written about.

On this particular day, I had illustrated myself thumping a bitten-off fingernail. Beside the sketch of my fingers moving swiftly to propel the hangnail across the page was the word "flick," written in uppercase, comic book-style.

Mrs. Yeiser was concerned that I'd written something else there. Something that — even though it made no sense in the context of the drawing — would have gotten me in big trouble had she sussed it out.

I assured her that, no, I really did mean "FLICK," even though, yes, I could see how from a certain angle, it might certainly seem as though I'd written something much more controversial.

Ever since that day I've been particularly keen on the importance of proper kerning.

So when I saw this sign in Saltillo over the weekend, I made my sister stop the car and turn around so I could get a photo.

this sign made me do a double-take

The Church of Christ needs to work on its sign's kerning.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Dude! I totally know Clint Hopper. I used to go to church with him when I was after a certain piece of Church of Christ tail. Oh, those Hopper boys. I have a funny story about him but it's TOO HOT FOR THE INTERNET!

Wed Apr 23, 07:44:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Perhaps the church had a falling out with Minister Hopper.

Wed Apr 23, 07:49:00 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Wrong on so many levels...lol.

Wed Apr 23, 08:10:00 AM  
Blogger fearlessvk said...

when i saw the title of this blog entry on bloglines, i knew it was going to be good. you did not disappoint.

Wed Apr 23, 09:26:00 AM  
Blogger Tangential said...

HA! I thought at first it was an act of vandalism, but then I couldn't figure out how you'd hop ... nvm.

Great stuff, Saltillo. Stay classy.

Wed Apr 23, 01:01:00 PM  
Blogger phallicpen said...

Hee hee!

Wed Apr 23, 09:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, that's good.

Wed Apr 23, 10:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

verbivoires. takes one to know one. you're a cunning linguist, miz theogeo.

excellent find.

Wed Apr 23, 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger dave said...

also see: the movie election, where tracy flick's campaign buttons sent a decidedly racier message.........HMMMM??????

i wish i had a handlebar mustache, i'd be twirling the hell off of it right now

you get the idea

Wed Apr 23, 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger Bette said...

This almost makes me want to go to church again..I mean, if these are the kind of activities they are getting involved in these days and all..

Thu Apr 24, 05:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol funny thing is this is my husband! yes yes we have been at this church for six years now and they never fail to get some kind of laugh from the community!

Tue Jul 01, 01:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home