Saturday, July 14

This week at iDiva

In case you missed it ...

Thursday, July 12

Thankful Thursday
I was kind of hoping readers would chime in and list things they were thankful for, as sort of a breezy end-of-the-week exercise, but no one seems to be up for it...

A new literary and film genre?
I had hoped to get a discussion going about the terms "chick flick" and "prick flick" and whether or not they're helpful markers when it comes to film conventions, but no one's biting...

I'm not really sure where all the other guest posters have been this week. It's been kind of dead over there.

So far, I'm doing a really shitty job of getting any discussions going. It's probably the know-it-all tone I take, plus the bummerific subject matter I tend to pick to post about. Hmmm. The most popular posts over there seem to be about childrearing and television, and maybe books, the first of which I know approximately nil, and the other two of which I get my fill of thanks to other websites and blogs. So, I bust out with the culture critiques and the gender blah blah hooey and I guess everyone is falling asleep and wondering when the weirdo who likes to bitch about "the dominant cultural imperative" is going to shut up and go back to her hermit hole.

I've never really blogged for an audience like iDiva's before. Actually, I have no idea what iDiva's readership is like; I assume it's a lot of moms, middle-class to upwardly mobile, perhaps fairly suburban? Not sure. I'm kind of doubting that they're the kind of cynical, leftist humor-mongers that hang around here (with a few right-leaning exceptions).

So, how to engage readers? I'm not that great at doing that anywhere I blog.

I suppose I should take a more engaging, conversational tone, as opposed to a soapbox tone. That could help. But even then, is there any way to engage readers on controversial topics while still maintaining my distinct voice and point of view? Do I have to play devil's advocate on every post to jar people into saying something?

The rest of my iDiva posts.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not going to pretend I know what the audience is for iDiva, but I suspect that your assumptions are correct. I don't want to sound like a blog-snob or anything (particularly since I have a LiveJournal, the AOL of blogs), but the kind of people who'd be attracted to the CA's blogs...well, "edgy" and "hip" are probably not appropriate adjectives.

Sun Jul 15, 07:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home