Saturday, March 3

Kibbles 'n' grits

• I've been reading a lot lately about Tuscan wines, and trying to teach myself how to properly pronounce Italian words and phrases, and it has rekindled in me the long-held hunch that I am an Italian trapped in a Scotch-Irish body. "Sangiovese" and "Brunello" and "Trebbiano" can't help but sound rich and sensuous as they roll off the tongue. (And to think, I thought it was "san-gee-oh-VEESE" until, like, two days ago.)

• Today I left the office at 5:30 in a huff, irked because there was nothing for me to do and I was bored out of my mind, so I took an early lunch break and went to the liquor store (I'm not sure I could be more of a skank) to stock up on wine for the weekend. My rage was not abated by my mini-roadtrip, however. On the contrary. It festered, fed by my finicky blinker, which decided to be all rebellious during rush hour and NOT WORK AT ALL, leading me to avoid left-hand turns altogether. Which made for a comical trip around Midtown. I swear, that car is asking to be melted down into scrap metal. And I threatened to take it out to a vacant field and burn it. But it didn't listen. Damn unintelligent machines.

• Moods intrigue me. When I feel a foul one rise up from my gut and sour everything around me, I often wonder how that happened.

• I think Tamara and I talked about this the last time we hung out, but what is it about unmarked white vans that totally creep me out? Yeesh.

• I was reading through some of my archives, and it occurs to me that I miss my old life. I mean, I'm happy with my life as it is now, but how comfortable it was to throw around words like "my boyfriend" and "Mufreesboro." I post a lot more pictures than I used to, which I think is an improvemenet, but overall I feel like maybe my blog is way more boring than it used to be.

• However, I feel much wiser than I did then.

• Though I still feel appropriately clueless and naive.

• MEN, you confuse me. All of you!

• I have been looking at Shauna's photos and I swear they make me a little more fertile upon every view. Pea is such a cutie.

• I am adding things to the sidebar. The uber-perceptive will notice.

• The family decided not to come up this weekend for the farm show at the Cook Convention Center. Some pre-pubescent boys (who have broken into my great-grandmother's house as well as Phil's great-grandmother's house, which sits on the historic registry) are terrorizing Saltillo with serial break-ins, and my folks are kind of leery about leaing the house overnight. So this means I'll be Saltillo-bound on Sunday, as I owe my dad a birthday present.

• The plan is to go see Black Snake Moan Monday night and decide for myself if it's shit or art, or some sort of hybrid.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've got one vote for art. If you read Beifuss's review of the movie, he pretty much nails how I feel about the movie. Amazing first third, middle's a little slow, comes back strong at the end.

Sat Mar 03, 11:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

two votes..for art, that is. The ads for the movie are misleading. They are trying to make you think b-movie drive-in nubile sex cha cha cha..sex is in there, so to speak, but it's about a LOT more than that. Samuel L. is cool as always, and C. Ricci steals the show.

Lynn (my wife Lynn, as opposed to the Lynnster) really liked it as well..probably more than I did. You can of have to see it as a fable...literally, some of the story is somewhat ludicrous (old meaning of the word, not the hip-hop flow-er from ATL)

Sun Mar 04, 08:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS. You're not boring in the least.

Am i confusing you, here? (o:

Sun Mar 04, 08:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not "san-gee-oh-VEES"?! Damn! What a way to start a Monday!

Mon Mar 05, 09:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then what is it? "san-jo-vees?" "San-jo-VES?"

Mon Mar 05, 09:55:00 AM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Brandon and John: I wussed out. Maybe I'll go next week. But thanks for your input!

PT: According to the book I'm reading, it's san-gee-oh-VAS-ay. But Dictionary.com goes with san-jo-vees.

So maybe I wasn't as wrong as I thought.

Feck, I dunno.

Wed Mar 07, 02:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home