Monday, August 7

A movie or two, Chinese food, and more band memories

Talladega Nights was awesome. I was cracking up the entire time. Will Ferrell is such a frigging funny man and the rest of the cast was fantastic. I love me some Jane Lynch and John C. Reilly. And I second J.R.'s emotion that Gary Cole is a national treasure. And what about those precious children, especially the younger one, spewing out dirty words for my entertainment? Hilarious. "Well if it isn't our mangy, transient grandfather." Preciousness. There was a Kings of Leon song in the movie, too. And I might as well 'fess up and admit that I now have this weird crush on Sacha Baron Cohen I totally didn't have the first million times I saw him as Ali G and Borat. But dress him up as a gay French NASCAR driver and, well, that's hott.

• Phil was digging through a box yesterday to find "Worms Armageddon" and he came upon a bunch of my CDs, including a recording of my high school band's fall 1999 field show and Christmas concert. It is so awesome to listen to that and think that a bunch of smart-ass high-school kids could make music sound so decent. Hell — good, even. I'm so proud of that era.

• Today we ate Chinese and our fortunes were a sign that the universe's sense of humor is as plucky as ever. Phil's phortune said, "Someone close to you wants to reconcile." Mine said, "You should be able to make money and keep it." Hoo ha!

• I've been watching Arrested Development on DVD a lot lately, and nothing ever makes me laugh harder than Buster. He and GOB are constantly battling for my favorite character (Tobias would come in third, though the scene where he's sneaking like a cat in Maggie the Lawyer's house is high comedy that should be rewarded with Nobel prizes and shit). I was delighted to see Tony Hale in yet another Will Ferrell flick that's coming out in the near future — Stranger Than Fiction, which actually might be pretty good.

5 Comments:

Blogger J. R. said...

Yeah- totally didn't realize Ali G was the weird French guy.

And Stranger than Fiction looks awesome. Could be Ferrell's semi-serious turn, like The Truman Show?

Mon Aug 07, 11:26:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Oooh, I almost hope so! I think he can pull it off. I mean, Elf had some serious overtones to it, though it was really weird.

I would almost bet that Will Ferrell could be a better serious actor than Jim Carrey because Carrey's got that rubber Jim Carrey face that just naturally wants to contort to show his freakishly large Chiclet teeth. Will Ferrell is a normal buffoon-looking guy, with no real comic features to speak of (besides his oddly creased belly with its patchy, shriveled hair).

I'll definitely go see it.

Mon Aug 07, 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

The movie, that is. Not the belly. Well, not just the belly.

Mon Aug 07, 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

OK, now that is fucked up.

I just looked it up and found this:

"The name 'Fanta' came during an employee contest to christen the new beverage. Keith told them to let their Fantasie (German for fantasy) run wild. On hearing that, salesman Joe Knipp came up with 'Fanta.'"

Thanks, Joe Knipp. Your Fanta is our nightmare.

Tue Aug 08, 09:00:00 AM  
Blogger J. R. said...

God bless Wikipedia.

Tue Aug 08, 11:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home