Thursday, August 24

Judge this book by its cover

Frederick S. Lane was on The Daily Show last night hawking his book The Decency Wars.

I haven't read the book, and probably won't until it's out in paperback, so I can't comment on its content. But I would like to poll the audience. Based on what the book is ostensibly about, what do you make of this, the cover?



Interesting that breasts are shorthand for indecency. Or, I guess, shorthand for sex, which is indecent.

Interesting, but not surprising.

Discuss.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see why you might draw conclusions about the cover but I wonder if it is simply a reference to Ashcroft's insistance that the breast of the statue behind him be covered during his briefings.

Fri Aug 25, 12:00:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Could be.

Hard to tell without reading the book, I guess, but it makes you wonder if it's strictly commentary on ridiculous edicts like Ashcrofts, or just a time-trusted move by the marketing department to put something on the cover that's guaranteed to sell.

Can it be both? And if it's both, does that diminish the message of the book?

I think it's a fascinating question.

Fri Aug 25, 01:25:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

I know it makes me a dork to point out my own typo, but please insert an apostraphe up there — Ashcroft's.

Fri Aug 25, 01:27:00 PM  
Blogger theogeo said...

Hi Frederick, thanks for stopping by.

I figured you had little if anything to do with the cover concept, so it's always interesting to see what an author thinks of his/her book once it's polished and wrapped and on the shelves. I mean, the experience of seeing your book on the shelf has to be amazing, but I'm curious about your thoughts on the cover and whether it transmits a message in keeping with the book's thesis.

Anyway, I plan to read the book as soon as I can so I can sort of gauge without guessing.

Mon Aug 28, 11:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home